The Foreign and Commonwealth Office, commonly called the Foreign Office is a department of the Government of the United Kingdom. It is responsible for protecting and promoting British interests worldwide and was created in 1968 by merging the Foreign Office and the Commonwealth Office
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
The main purpose of job:
This is a dynamic role at the heart of the British High Commission that provides high level support to the High Commissioner (HC) and manages the HC’s Office Team while engaging key stakeholders in the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, Ghana Government, Foreign Governments, other Diplomatic Missions, NGOs and other UK Government Departments to support the achievement of UK Government Foreign Policy Objectives in Ghana.
Roles and responsibilities:
- The key point of contact for the High Commissioner (HC) with a focus on prioritizing HC’s time and commitments
- Manage HC diary – including communicating with HC Team to ensure they know how best to work with HC Office
- Follow up (on behalf of HC) for actions within Mission
- Build relationships with key stakeholders in Ghana & UK to create a productive working environment
- Ensure effective functioning of the HC office focusing on general office duties including, but not limited to, dealing with visitors, responding to telephone calls, mail, invites and all general inquiries to the office
- Assist in organizing programs for official visitors coming to Ghana
- Perform routine tasks on behalf of the wider High Commission including the processing of the diplomatic bags
- Liaise with Residence Manager and HC spouse on issues relating to functions, invitations, visitors and give support concerning guests list and social events
- Manage contacts and maintain relationships including high priority contacts
- Respond to and draft routine correspondence on behalf of the office
- Arrange programs for HC’s internal and external travel
- Support office budget management; advising on spending trends, reconciling expenditure and facilitating accurate forecasting
- Act as a point of contact in the absence of the Residence Manager
- Support the governance of key post’s boards and some cross-cutting High Commission programs
- Oversee the distribution of invitations to high-level stakeholders, RSVP follow-ups and ensuring HC’s knowledge of key engagements for each event.
Resources managed (staff and expenditure):
- Line management of Administrative Assistant and have oversight responsibility of Residence Manager.
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
- Prioritizing in a fast-paced work environment, assuming responsibility for tasks with minimum supervision and delivering to deadlines.
- Strong self-organization, the ability to be flexible and resilient.
- Being an excellent team player.
- Communication and influencing skills, including excellent drafting and proof-reading in English, including records of meetings.
- The ability to maintain high-level contacts with UK Government departments, Government of Ghana offices, BHC staff, members of other diplomatic missions as well as members of the public.
- Feeling comfortable dealing with sensitive issues, and therefore the ability to be highly ethical and discreet.
- Strong IT skills using Microsoft software.
- Excellent written and spoken English.
Desirable qualifications, skills, and experience
- Good written and spoken French would be a distinct advantage.
- Knowledge of the UK and of UK Government structures would be an advantage.
Seeing the Big Picture, Collaborating and Partnering, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace