Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.Newmontï¿½s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus ...
Read more about this company
- Employ advanced knowledge of geology fundamentals, findings, techniques and experience to locate viable mineral deposits and determine their characteristics.
- Coordinate, manage and evaluate exploration and development progams, and team activities.
- Use and integrate multidisciplinary data to prioritize, rate and rank targets
- Provide a high-level technical advice to senior management on exploration and development projects.
- Prepare budget and track costs to ensure projects are completed on budget and within planned time frames.
- Evaluate results and progress, and report findings to management and joint venture partners.
- Provide strong leadership focussed on teamwork and develop a technically competent team.
- Ensure exploration and development activities are carried out in a safe and environmentally sustainable manner, with best industry practice and in accordance with legislative requirements.
- Provide advanced geologic technical review, guidance and support to programs designed to discover, develop, evaluate or mine gold and base metal deposits.
- Undertake technical reviews to ensure the integrity of data acquired through drill testing, geophysical, geochemical and geological mapping programs. Ensure that these activities are carried out with sound application of geology fundamentals and proper use of available technologies.
- Build and periodically update geological and resource models in collaboration with the Resource Modelling group.
- Ensure the Function is employing the highest level of technology and its application through skilled coordination of the services offered by the Function’s SME’s.
- Assist the Exploration Business Development and M&A groups in identifying prospective greenfield settings and providing technical justification for investment.
- Assist in mentoring, developing and retaining geoscientists focusing on career development, talent management and succession planning.
Training & Experience
Formal Qualification, Knowledge and Experience
- Degree in Geology or related fields with 15+ years of broad industry experience in mining and exploration environments.
- Demonstrated experience in managing technical staff and understanding and communicating management expectations.
- Strong knowledge of the resource development process from grassroots exploration to reserve definition and production.
- Broad and multi-disciplinary experience in a variety of geological environments with particular exposure to gold and base metals.
- Knowledge of cutting edge new geological concepts, ideas, and mineralization models.
Skills and Abilities
- Visible leadership in safety, health and S&ER.
- Strong understanding of Resource and Reserves disclosure standards.
- Experience in working with and supporting exploration activities in a variety of cultural environments.
- Strong knowledge of cost-benefit analysis, project management methodologies, and change management, including stakeholder engagement and communications.
- Ability to create, synthesize, and manipulate large geologic datasets from proprietary, third party and governenment sources and identify highest probability subsets for new resource location therein.
- Able to communicate highly technical concepts to non-technical management. Must be able to produce clear written documents and accurate geologic presentations.
- Cross functional Business and Technical Acumen across the mining business cycle – understanding financial implication of technical drivers.
- Abilities to engage effectively with stakeholders on both delivering answers and ongoing engagement.
- Flexibility to adapt to requirements from the business and stakeholders.
- Ability to effectively present ideas (own and others) in a group setting,and foster constructive dialogue within the team.
- The position is primary located in Ethiopia, on a rotational assignment basis.
- Position is required to travel to and work extensively in international venues.
- Part of the work will be done in Greenfield exploration environments where conditions may be primitive and/or harsh at times. (Primitive/Harsh = surface or underground environments, hot to extreme cold, desert or tropical rain forest to tundra conditions, remote field camps, high mountain terrain, steep rough terrain, long distance and/or time to advanced medical care).
- Extended periods away from home base may be required.
- Must be able to hold/operate a phone and radio with sufficient voice and hearing to carry on a conversation.
- Must be able to drive a manual transmission vehicle, 4x4 vehicle and occasionally operate an all-terrain vehicle.
Our business success comes from the accomplishments and well-being of our employees and contractors. Our goal is to build a workplace culture that fosters leaders and allows every person to thrive, contribute, and grow. We are committed to selecting and developing our employees, and to establishing a work environment where everyone can take an active part in reaching our strategic goals while feeling a sense of pride in working at Newmont.
Newmont seeks to recruit, hire, place and promote qualified applicants, meaning applicants who meet the minimum requirements of the position, without regard to personal characteristics such as gender, race, nationality, ethnic, social and indigenous origin, religion or belief, disability, age or sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
NOTE: Newmont does not ask for or require job applicants to pay money to apply or be considered for employment with the Company. In addition, Newmont does not ask potential job candidates to provide sensitive personal data without first submitting a job application through our secure, online portal, and only as requested for legitimate business purposes. If you are asked to provide money or sensitive personal data through any other means, do not respond and please report this immediately to [email protected].