UNDP is the UN's global development network, an organization advocating for change and connecting countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life. We are on the ground in some 170 countries and territories, working with them on their own solutions to global and national development challenges. As they develop local ...
Read more about this company
Under the guidance and supervision of the Operations Manager and direct supervisor, the Procurement Assistant provides procurement services ensuring high quality and accuracy of work. The Procurement Assistant promotes a client, quality and results-oriented approach in the Unit.
The Procurement Assistant works in close collaboration with the operations, programme and projects staff in the CO and UNDP HQs staff to exchange information and ensure consistent service delivery.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Implementation of operational strategies
- Support to procurement processes
- Implementation of sourcing strategy
- Control of CO Assets
- Provision of logistical services
- Support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing
Ensures implementation of operational strategies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of procurement activities with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies.
- Provision of inputs to the CO Procurement business processes mapping and elaboration of internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in Procurement and Logistics in consultation with the direct supervisor and office management.
Supports procurement processes for CO, NEX/DEX projects and at the request of other Agencies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Provision of inputs to preparation of procurement plans for the office.
- Support to organization of procurement processes including preparation of RFQs, ITBs or RFPs documents, receipt of quotations, bids or proposals, their preliminary evaluation.
- Preparation of Purchase orders and contracts in and outside Atlas, preparation of Recurring Purchase orders for contracting of services, vendor creation in Atlas, maintenance of the filing system in the procurement Unit. . Buyers profile in Atlas.
- Implementation of the internal control system which ensures that Purchase orders are duly prepared and dispatched. Timely corrective actions on POs with budget check errors and other problems.
- Provision of information for preparation of cost-recovery bills in Atlas for the procurement services provided by UNDP to other Agencies.
- Preparation of Purchase orders and contracts in and outside Atlas, vendor creation in some small offices are performed by Procurement Associates. Preparation of Recurring POs for contracting services in medium and large offices are performed by Human Resources Assistants. Preparation of Purchase orders and contracts in and outside Atlas in large offices with Service Centres or project offices can be performed by Service Administrators of Service Centres and Procurement Assistants of project offices.
Contributes to implementation of sourcing strategy focusing on achievement of the following result:
- Update of the rosters of suppliers.
- Ensures proper control of CO Assets focusing on achievement of the following result:
- Preparation of inventory reports.
- Implementation of Inventory and physical verification check-up in the CO and projects
- Physical verification control can be implemented by other staff, e.g. Finance staff
- Ensures provision of logistical services focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Purchase of tickets and PO preparation; arrangement of shipments; vehicle maintenance organization; conference facilities arrangements.
- Timely conducted DSA, Travel Agencies, vehicle maintenance, hotel and conference facilities surveys.
- Supports knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Participation in the trainings for the operations/ projects staff on Procurement.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Impact of Results
- The key results have an impact on the execution of the CO procurement services management in terms of quality and accuracy of work completed. Accurate data entry, presentation of information and client-oriented approach enhances UNDP capability in provision of procurement services.
- Building Strategic Partnerships
Maintaining information and databases
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives
- Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Basic research and analysis
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Promoting Organizational Change and Development
Presentation of information on best practices in organizational change
- Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions
- Design and Implementation of Management Systems
Data gathering and implementation of management systems
- Uses information/databases/other management systems
- Client Orientation
Maintains effective client relationships
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management
Gathering and disseminating information
- Gathers and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
- UNDP Procurement Certification programme
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education with specialized training in procurement. University Degree in Business or Public Administration would be desirable, but it is not a requirement.
- 5 years of relevant administrative experience is required at the national or international level. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and knowledge of automated procurement systems, experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Fluency in the UN and national language of the duty station
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.