UNDP is the UN's global development network, an organization advocating for change and connecting countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life. We are on the ground in some 170 countries and territories, working with them on their own solutions to global and national development challenges. As they develop local ...
Read more about this company
Uder the overall guidance and direct supervision of the Operations Analyst, the Programme Finance Associate provides leadership in execution of programme finance services ensuring effective and transparent utilization of financial resources and integrity of financial services. The Programme Finance Associate promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations.
The Programme Finance Associate supervises and leads the support staff. The Programme Finance Associate works in close collaboration with the Management Support and Business Development, Programme and Operations teams in the Country Office (CO) and UNDP HQ and with project teams to resolve complex programme financial management-related issues and information delivery.
Summary of Key functions:
- Administration and implementation of operational and financial management strategies, Support to CO programme management, administration of budgets and effective cost recovery.
- Support to implementation of the resource mobilization strategy.
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing, guidance to all stakeholders on financial matters.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensures administration and implementation of operational and financial management strategies, adapts processes and procedures focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, and policies of financial activities, financial recording/reporting system and follow-up on audit recommendations; implementation of effective internal controls, proper functioning of a client-oriented financial resources management system.
- CO Finance business processes mapping and elaboration of the content of internal Standard Operating Procedures in Finance in consultation with office management.
- Implementation of cost sharing and trust fund agreements.
- Elaboration of conditions of contributions within the CO resource mobilization efforts.
- Provides support to CO programme management and ensures the optimal cost recovery focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Development and follow up on Programme Portfolio Pipeline and set up of new grants in Atlas (UNDP’s Enterprise Resource Planning System).
- Sending project budget to Commitment Control (KK), if authorized and on the basis of signed project documents and project budgets.
- Oversee Atlas matching, implementation of effective internal controls, proper functioning of a client-oriented financial resources management system, control mechanism for development projects through monitoring budgets preparation and modifications, budgetary status versus Approved Spending Limits (ASL), follow up with HQs on ASL for development projects, maintenance of the General Ledger.
- Provision of the information/reports on the situation in programme, identification of operational and financial problems, proposal of solutions.
- Vendors approval (if authorized by SM).
- Accuracy verification of Combined Delivery Reports and follow-up on their signing by National Counterparts.
- Regular monitoring of the CO delivery.
- Provision of advice on reporting.
- Preparation of reports including donor reports.
- Verification and reconciliation of various expenditures reports from the CO, HQ and Implementing Agencies.
- Periodic monitoring of dashboards and exceptions, identification of the remedial actions in coordination with the supervisor.
- Timely preparation of cost-recovery bills in Atlas for the services provided, implementation of the income tracking system and follow up on cost recovery.
- Provision of researched information for the audit of projects under national implementation (NIM), implementation of audit recommendations.
- Provides support to implementation of the resources mobilization strategy focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Drafting of cost sharing and trust fund agreements and obtaining of clearances from HQ if necessary.
- Monitoring of cost-sharing contributions, preparation of Accounts Receivable (AR) pending items, application of deposits against prepared pending items.
- Tracking and reporting on mobilized resources by performing the following tasks if assigned to the S/M.
- Review signed cost-sharing contribution agreements and trust fund agreements.
- Enter Agreement information into Contracts Module.
- Attach copy of the signed agreement in Atlas
- Create Billing Plan in Contracts Module.
- Create Revenue Plan and establish Milestones in Contracts Module.
- Bill a donor through Contracts Module.
- Maintain contributions/receivables documentation
- Apply cash receipt to the proper revenue source / fund or project
- Advice to Programme and Project Staff on different donor reporting requirements; monitoring of financial reports to be submitted to donors
- Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing, guidance to all stakeholders on financial matters focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Guidance to the implementing agencies on routine implementation of projects, tracking use of financial resources.
- Advice to Project staff on UNDP administrative and NEX reporting, in particular, on budgetary issues.
- Organization of training for the operations/programme/projects staff on financial management and RBM.
- Synthesis of lessons learned and best practices in programme and project finance.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Participate in the development, implementation and Reporting of the Harmonized Approach to Cash Transfer (HACT) implementation plan and the annual HACT Assurance plans.
- Provide technical support to ensure that the Office has evidence-based information, as per the assurance plan, to assess whether progress reported by partners is in accordance with work plans and that resources provided by UNDP.
- Provide administrative support to the Office in development, documentation and reporting on HACT plans and activities, including:
- Conduct periodic on-site spot checks and reviews of implementing partners' financial records for cash transfers together with programme and/or finance colleagues:
- Support the CO M&E function on regular field visit as per HACT Programme Visit compliance in collaboration with Programme staff.
Impact of Results
- The key results have an impact on the overall CO efficiency in programme, smooth running of finances and success in implementation of programme strategies and smooth running. Accurate analysis and presentation of information enhances UNDP’s position as a strong development partner. The information provided facilitates decision making of the management
- Maintaining information and databases
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives
- Tracks and reports on mobilized resources
Promoting Organizational Learning And Knowledge Sharing
- Basic research and analysis
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things
- Identifies and communicates opportunities to promote learning and knowledge sharing
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
- Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
- Possesses knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks (broad range of specialized knowledge related to financial resources management, including formulating budgets, maintaining Accounts Receivables and Accounts Payables, reporting).
- Identifies new and better approaches to work processes and incorporates same in own work
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Promoting Organizational Change and Development
- Presentation of information on best practices in organizational change
- Documents ‘best practices’ in organizational change and development within and outside the UN system
- Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions
- Design and Implementation of Management Systems
- Level 1.1: Data gathering and implementation of management systems
- Uses information/databases/other management systems
- Makes recommendations related to work procedures and implementation of management systems
- Maintains effective client relationships
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients
- Responds to client needs promptly
- Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management
- Gathering and disseminating information
- Gathers and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems
- Maintains databases
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education, with specialized certification in Accounting and Finance. University Degree in Finance, Business or Public Administration desirable, but it is not a requirement. Part-qualified accountants from an internationally recognized institute of accountancy will have a distinct advantage.
- UNDP Accountancy & Finance Test required
- 7 years of progressively responsible financial management or accounting experience is required, with knowledge of programme or project finance desirable. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
- Knowledge of IPSAS and/or IFRS required.
- Language Requirements: Fluency in the UN and national language of the duty station.