We are looking for an exceptional Program Director to lead the launch and scaleup of Generation’s entry into the Ghanaian market in partnership with MasterCard Foundation. Under this partnership, we will be launching new training and placement programs to support young Ghanaians into remote work roles (such as virtual assistants, data analysts, digital marketers, web developers, and customer service associates). Generation will also be coordinating a coalition of partners to experiment with different methods of delivery to find out ‘what works’ before we scale.
This role is for a full-time assignment, from Q1 2023 through June 2025, with a possibility to extend. The role requires residency in Ghana, with the need for travel to Accra and Kumasi. Hours are expected to be 40 hours per week.
Compensation and benefits package competitive with NGO industry standards
Reporting directly to Generation’s SAMEA (South Asia, Middle East and Africa) Chief Operating Officer, the Program Director will lead the program team (15-25 individuals) and the program coalition partners to execute pilot training-and-placement programs for 5 job roles in Ghana, with a focus on piloting different approaches (e.g. varying the training partner, full-time vs freelance etc.) before scaling up the successful ones. You will be responsible for leading and scaling up the programs, providing strategic direction for future growth, managing the program budget, and holding key stakeholder relationships.
Specifically, you will:
- Oversee the implementation of all initiatives including recruitment, training & transition to work, in accordance with program specifications, Generation Global functional designs, and funding limits
- Ensure all the targets and timelines for launch and scale up are met
- Ensure appropriate organization and staffing and manage the operational team as required to maintain high quality program outcomes, in line with the Generation methodology
- Grow and develop internal talent, and cultivate a strong, values-driven team culture
- Co-ordinate the coalition partners so each partner meets the program’s aims and outcomes
- Work closely with Generation’s global functional teams (e.g. employer engagement team on sourcing job opportunities) and provide ongoing updates to an internal program steering committee
- Be the external interface for Generation’s programs in Ghana with private, social, and public sector organizations and represent Generation in relevant forums. Develop meaningful relationships with key stakeholders across these sectors to support a scalable pathway to systems change.
- Support Generation’s relationship with Mastercard Foundation in Ghana along with the SAMEA COO.
- Identify areas of risk and take steps to reduce vulnerabilities, including communicating with Generation Global leadership and external partners.
- Contribute to and support the development of the growth and funding strategy beyond the current partnership and agreement
- Own the overall program budget
- Be a credible representative of the efforts of Generation to current and potential partners
- You have experience managing complex projects and working across diverse, global teams
- Strong track record and minimum 10 years of business work experience with 5+ years of direct leadership experience.
- You are able to co-ordinate and manage a broad number of stakeholders, even when they do not sit directly within your organization.
- You thrive in a high-energy, fast-paced environment and will continually push yourself and others to raise the bar. You are comfortable with ambiguity and a changing environment.
- You are warm, empathetic, and love getting to know new people – meaning you can build trust-based relationships with diverse stakeholders in a range of geographic, cultural and industry contexts
- You have exceptional communication skills in English, both written and verbal
- You are resolutely data-driven in your approach to solving problems, influencing and informing decisions, and will put in the legwork to get us to the best solution to any problem
- You believe in our mission, that fulfilling employment can change lives, and are passionate about doing social good