Catholic Relief Services is the international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States.
The Communications Officer for CRS/Ghana will be responsible for developing and executing an effective and comprehensive communications strategy to raise the Country Program’s profile with target audiences, including donors, partners, local media, national and local government, the Catholic Church, and others. She/he will work closely with Health and WASH Technical Leads, Senior Management Team and Regional and HQ Communications staff to ensure strategic alignment of communications, consistent messaging, and a strong brand identity. The Communications Officer will create content and use effective communications channels to help position CRS/Ghana for funding and influence.
Roles and Key Responsibilities:
- Write, design, and manage the production of creative and compelling communication and marketing material– stories, photos, video, fact sheets, brochures, etc. for various audiences, including public and private donors, local and national governments, local Church, partners, media, and others as needed.
- Coordinate freelancers in the production of above marketing materials as needed.
- Support the procurement processes for licenses, equipment, and applications needed to implement the CP’s communications plan.
- Use and tailor agency messages for each audience and identify/utilize effective distribution channels to disseminate communications materials to key audiences.
- As appropriate, manage social media channels and create content platforms (Facebook/Twitter).
- Develop and maintain relationships with local media and help identify opportunities to reach key audiences, and coach Country Program staff in effective local media representation.
- Support the dissemination of relevant information among personnel, partners, and project participants or other relevant actors related to the Country Program.
- Maintain records of media coverage and collate analytics and metrics.
- Provide marketing and communications support for events, including signage, handouts, photos, liaising with media, etc., and convene local media for CRS events.
- Support the creation of processes of manuals and trainings for CP staff and partners on issues related to communications, marketing, and media created for the development of CRS/Ghana.
Travel – Must be willing and able to travel up to 25%.
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Key Working Relationships
Internal: Country Representative, Head of Programs, Business Development Specialist, Program Managers, International Fellow, Finance Manager, Regional TA for Growth, Regional Information Officer/MarCom staff, and CRS’ Communications team in Headquarters, including the publications department, design team, and communications officers.
External: Relevant Government Ministries and decentralized units/departments, Multilateral Agencies, CBOs, FBOs, Communities, PR, and marketing firms; consultants/contractors in photography, videography, design, printing, event organizing; Ghana media; and local and international organizations
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Journalism, or related studies
- Minimum three years marketing and communication experience, ideally for an NGO or organization in development and relief programming.
- Must possess ability to handle multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated track record of successfully disseminating information to a variety of audiences.
- Highly proficiency in Microsoft Office applications and desktop publishing skills is required.
- Experience in Adobe Creative Suite, especially InDesign, is strongly desired
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Self-motivated, proactive, and able to work without close supervision.
- Demonstrated strengths in relationship management; and the ability to work effectively with culturally diverse groups.
- Diplomatic; able to manage conflict and move groups toward consensus.
- Able to manage deadlines effectively, often with tight time constraints.
- Able to lead, manage, and motivate colleagues outside of supervisory authority.
- Excellent organization and planning skills; able to be detail oriented as necessary.
- Quick learner, agile, flexible, adaptable to different operating environments
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardship