Abt Associates is working on a wide range of efforts in Ghana, including programs to protect people from malaria, strengthen the country's health system, evaluate the impact of financial incentives on agriculture, expand clean energy and boost regional and global trade.
Abt Associates is seeking a qualified Private Sector Specialist to support the anticipated USAID West Africa Biodiversity and Low Emission Development Activity (WABiLED). This position located in Accra, Ghana, will provide overall strategic direction, technical leadership, and implementation for the task order under the STARR II IDIQ. The Private Sector Specialist will report to the Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) in management and implementation of the private sector engagement and alternative livelihoods activities and cross-cutting tasks. The Specialist must manage relations and operations in regard to private sector actors in alignment with the team, governments, and local policies to ensure overall compliance with USAID rules and regulations, financial management, international and local personnel recruitment and management, subcontractor management, and project start-up and close-out.
The position will lead efforts to interact with private sector actors and align government policies on climate change, biodiversity, low emission development, and wildlife trafficking with international organizations and projects in the West Africa (Cote d’Ivoire, Guinea, Liberia, Sierra Leone) region. By working through regional partners, and with targeted national and sub-national institutions, this position will lead to increased capacity of institutions at all levels to work with private sectors and develop policies related to alternative livelihoods.
This position is contingent upon award.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Providing technical leadership in the development of plans and policies for private sector engagement and alternative livelihoods and the integration of climate, biodiversity, wildlife, and low emission standards with risk management into the design and management of USAID programs
- Leading engagement, technical discussions, and the development of innovative approaches with the client and other stakeholder, especially private sector actors focusing on low emission standards, climate change, biodiversity, wildlife conservation
- Providing private sector engagement for biodiversity conservation and land-based emissions reductions, including lessons learned, barriers, and opportunities, for conservation enterprises, timber, and high-value agricultural commodities
- Providing subject matter expertise to support the development of technical strategies, implementation plans, MEL, communication, and knowledge management activities
- Overseeing the work of team members, consultants and sub-contractors working on all programmatic activities, especially related to the private sector to ensure achievement work plan objectives and targets, and timely/effective implementation
- Graduate Degree (minimum) in environmental and natural resource management programming, biodiversity and conservation, wildlife trafficking, climate change, low emission standards, and/or other relevant fields
- Minimum 5 years of professional experience in environmental and natural resource management programming, biodiversity and conservation, wildlife trafficking, climate change, low emission standards, and/or other relevant fields
- Sound understanding of USAID’s policies, requirements and existing tools on climate change, wildlife trafficking, and/or biodiversity policies
- Demonstrated experience interacting with government agencies, civil society counterparts, and international donor agencies; USAID experience strongly preferred
- Proven experience working across sectors and leading inter-disciplinary teams
- Demonstrated team player with effective cross-cultural interpersonal skills; able to develop and communicate a common vision among diverse partners and lead multidisciplinary teams
- Should demonstrate excellent interpersonal, managerial, organizational, oral and written communication skills, and proven leadership abilities within a multi-partner initiative
- Fluency in English and language skills in French are highly desirable
- (6+) years of experience and a master degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits.