Want to get a job fast?
Signup and complete your profile on MyJobMag. Employers will find you 4x faster with a complete profile. You can download your completed profile anytime Signup Now
African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Banks development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly r...
Read more about this company
The Hotel and Catering Assistant is responsible for managing the daily operations of the Bank’s restaurant, including the selection, development and performance management of the service provider. In addition, the job holder is responsible for drafting technical specifications and terms of reference for the acquisition of equipment and services related to these activities.
Duties and responsibilities
- Under the overall supervision of the Division Manager, the Hotel and Catering Assistant will:
- Oversee and manage all areas of the restaurant and make final decisions on matters of importance to customers.
- Enforce sanitary practices of food handling, general cleanliness, and maintenance of kitchen and dining areas.
- Ensure compliance with operational standards and Bank policies.
- Ensure consistent high quality of food preparation and service.
- Maintain professional restaurant image, including restaurant cleanliness, proper uniforms, and appearance standards.
- Ensure positive customer service in all areas.
- Monitor the tasks of the service provider, set goals and plans to promote and improve service delivery.
- Respond to complaints, taking appropriate actions to turn dissatisfied customers into return customers.
- Conduct periodic surveys among Bank staff on the delivery of catering services.
- Conduct regular market survey on food prices and propose adjustments in conformity with market prices.
- Report to Division Manager, Support Services Division, any shortcomings identified with the service provider and advice on remedial actions.
- Ensure that proper security procedures are in place to protect customers and company assets.
- Ensure a safe working and customer environment to reduce the risk of injury and accidents.
- Supervise contracts related to catering and Hygiene Control services; regularly evaluate, through unannounced site inspections, the performance in consultation with Staff Restaurant Committee.
- Collaborate with maintenance team to program maintenance and repairs of the equipment and prepare statistics regarding usage of the restaurant facilities and propose future actions.
- Draft technical specifications and terms of reference for the acquisition of restaurant and kitchen equipment and services and advice on the best sources of supply.
- Monitor technically all contracts related to the Bank restaurant management activities.
- Prepare regular reports on the Bank restaurant activities.
- Work within a team concept to develop and implement ways to improve the efficiency, effectiveness and quality of services in the restaurant.
- Recommend to General Services and Procurement Department Management list of hotels, catering, and restaurant service providers to serve Bank staff.
- Conduct regular market survey on hotel rates and propose adjustments in conformity with market prices.
- In consultation with Travel Administrator, negotiate tariffs with hotels in Africa and beyond on behalf of the Bank.
- Ensure that information on all hotels with contractual agreements with the Bank is maintained and posted on the Bank intranet for ease of reference.
- Hold a minimum of a Bachelor degree in business, hospitality/events management, tourism, or other related fields.
- Have a minimum of six (6) years’ experience in events / hospitality management, hotel/tourism industry, operating food facility.
- Having private sector experience will be an added advantage.
- Ability to spearhead and manage change.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Ability to operate effectively in a matrix environment both as team leader and team member.
- Ability to deal sensitively in a multicultural environment and build effective working relations with clients and colleagues.
- Ability to draw on both theoretical knowledge and practical experience to design and develop a logistical plan which will provide a workable solution to an operational need.
- Ability to identify and understands relationships, constraints and pressures affecting others.
- Have excellent analytical capabilities and problem solving skills.
- Have excellent interpersonal skills, negotiating and emergency management skills.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Good business and commercial acumen.
- The ability to think quickly, work in stressful circumstances and stay calm in a crisis.
- Financial, budgeting and stock-taking skills.
- Knowledge of food, food hygiene (including hazard analysis and critical control points) and food preparation.
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English and/or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other.
- Competence with MS Office. Competence in SAP is desirable.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications; knowledge of SAP is an added advantage.
go to method of application »
The Principal Power Engineer will be responsible for the technical design, appraisal and supervision of the Bank’s projects / programs in the support of transactions linked to lending and non-lending operations involving public and private sector investments in the electricity sector. S/he will provide deep sectoral expertise related to the planning, technical structuring, financing and implementation of power and utility reform projects / programs across the project cycle and power value chain (i.e. fuel supply, power generation, transmission and distribution / retail). This will involve the entire gamut of reforms (i.e. management contracts to full divestiture) to enhance and facilitate sustainable utility transformation (to profitability), performance benchmarking / knowledge sharing and provision of quality advisory services, required for successful sector reforms and restructuring of utilities. S/he will work in multi-disciplinary teams and contribute to the delivery of the New Deal on Energy for Africa / High 5 flagships as required.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of the Manager, Power Utilities, the incumbent will perform the following:
- Coordinate the delivery of flagships as relevant, to ensure delivery of the New Deal on Energy for Africa (e.g. increasing electricity access);
- Provide advisory support to Regional Member Countries and Task Managers in the preparation, screening and implementation of complex and innovative projects aimed at reforming utilities and improving performance (benchmarking
- leadership as Task Manager, along with Hub-based staff, in the process of identification, preparation and execution of operations related to the transformation of utilities, including asset rehabilitation / expansion, system loss reduction and last mile access programmes;
- Lead, in conjunction with other teams, Bank power sector business development and operations to support transformation, including human capacity building and smart partnerships;
- Coordinate with the Hubs and Bank governance units in conducting policy dialogue, result based operations and provision of technical assistance to support utility reforms / transformation, and increased private sector participation;
- Provide deep sector expertise for technical quality assurance: This includes preparation of terms of reference, review and validation process of feasibility studies, and utility performance diagnostics;
- Ensure timely review and quality assurance of project preparation, appraisal and supervision documents vis-à-vis technical, financial, environmental, social and economic requirements;
- with other PEVP Divisions on relevant policy and regulatory matters and the structuring and financial analysis of complex / innovative projects, especially those involving private sector participation (e.g. streamlining / standardization of project and transaction documentation, and financing instruments);
- Support delivery of Economic and Sector Work related to utility performance benchmarking, in collaboration with other directorates of the complex, utilities and strategic partners;
- Undertake any other tasks the Director or Division Manager may assign.
- Hold at least a master’s Degree in Electrical Engineering or related disciplines.
- Have a minimum of six (6) years of experience in utilities or in the power sectors, including utility reform and turn around exposure;
- Private sector experience will be an added advantage;
- Experience working across multiple institutions and ensuring effective collaboration with power sector stakeholders is essential.
- Experience in a combination of the following areas will be essential: Utility Management, power generation and/or transmission and/or distribution / retail; IPPs / PPPs; and/or power sector reforms (with experience of working on Management Contracts, Concession Agreements and/or Divestiture transactions).
- Ability to innovate and create new approaches in order to enhance performance;
- Ability to communicate effectively and mobilize key actors for efficient and effective delivery (private sector, public sector and civil society);
- Proven ability to build and direct a high performing team to achieve visionary and challenging goals;
- Proven interpersonal skills demonstrated by the ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment, with sensitivity and respect for diversity and the ability to build trust and provide leadership to different team members;
- Highly developed negotiation skills proven to yield positive outcomes with counterparts, both internal and external;
- Clear understanding of the drivers and barriers to success of power utilities in complex regulatory, socio-economic and political environments;
- Deep knowledge of integrated least-cost national / utility power system planning, and network development processes and tools utilized in Africa; and familiarity with the work of multilateral Development Finance Institutions;
- Deep knowledge of utility Quality of Supply and Service Standards; and related performance management systems;
- project management and contract administration skills;
- Ability to draft Terms of reference (TORs), Requests for quotation (RFQs) and Requests for Proposals (RFPs) to procure services from consultants;
- Good knowledge of national power / utility regulation, procurement and contracting models and standards; and grid code / operating rules / limits / reserves (including power import, export, wheeling and trading);
- A good understanding of, and ability to lead / support negotiation of, power project agreements such as Power Purchase Agreements, Grid Connection Agreements, Fuel Supply Agreements, Engineering, Procurement & Construction (EPC) Contracts, Operations & Maintenance (O&M) Contracts, Long Term Service Agreements (LTSA) and familiarity with the work of Development Finance Institutions.
- A good understanding of SCADA (supervisory control and data acquisition) and asset management systems;
- A good understanding of the Bank’s Environmental & Social policy requirements;
- Good knowledge of utility governance, regulation, operations, maintenance and management, client relationship, billing, financial management of utilities;
- Highly developed strategic thinking skills allied to an ability to translate strategic concepts and direction into the implementation of workable and sustainable policies and regulations;
- Ability/willingness to quickly become familiar with the use of various tools available and applied by the Bank such as SAP.
- spoken and written English or French, with a working knowledge of the other language;
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications;
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.
To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
Applicants who fully meet the Bank's requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.
Learn how to get a job in any industry you want. Read 72 Hours to The Job You Love