Catholic Relief Services is the international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States.
The Risk and Compliance Manager assists the regional and country level management to analyze, develop and implement systems which allow the agency to increase operational efficiency and promote a competitive niche in different operational areas within an environment of Compliance and adequate Risk Management. Support is provided to the Region and Country Programs in developing a Culture of Compliance and Risk Management, as well as the capacity to proactively manage risk and be compliant with agency and donor policies and standards. The position will also be instrumental in regional and country-level capacity-building in identification, assessment and management of all categories of risk (excluding Safety & Security Risks) identified in CRS’ Internal Control Questionnaires, annual Risk Reports, FAM (Fraud Allegation Management Policy and Procedure). S/he will provide surge capacity on FAM cases and support compliance reviews and other tasks for WARO countries without a dedicated R&C Manager.
Roles and Key Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with audit, risk and compliance leads in HQ and the regional level and CP leadership on implementing and strengthening internal control systems and continuous process performance improvement.
- Anticipate and identify risk issues and challenges and the most appropriate solutions to address them.
- Support implementation of sub-recipient financial management policy (SRFMP)
- In collaboration with CP management, plan and perform internal audits, control reviews and compliance assessments. Analyze results and provide recommendations.
- In collaboration with CP management, programming, and/or operation leads, design and facilitate relevant risk training sessions and contribute to relevant components of institutional capacity strengthening plans for CRS and partners.
- Serve as liaison and support external audits. Coordinate action plans to close out audit findings.
Required Languages – French (excellent) and English (excellent)
Travel – Must be willing and able to travel up to 50%.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong relationship management skills
- Strong analytical, organizational, and systems thinking skills
- Ability to make sound judgment
- Ethical conduct in accordance with recognized professional and organizational codes of ethics
- Proactive, resourceful and results-oriented
- Knowledge of data analytics techniques and process performance improvement leading practices
- Knowledge of accounting systems
- Coaching and training abilities.
- Proficient in MS Office package (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Visio) and information management systems.
Supervisory Responsibilities (if none, state none)
Key Working Relationships:
- Internal: Risk and compliance staff in CO and HQ, Head of Operations, Country Representatives, Country Finance Officer, Ethics Unit Internal Audit department, Regional Team, Regional Directors, HQ (finance, Internal Audit, Risk and Compliance…).
- External: Donors, external audit firms, Legal counsel, Local authorities…
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s Degree in Accounting, Business Administration or other relevant field preferred. Accounting or audit certification highly preferred.
- Lean/Six Sigma Green Belt or Project Management Professional certifications preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years work experience, ideally with an international organization, with progressive responsibility in operations and/or programming. At least 3 of these years entailing audit, compliance or risk management experience
- Knowledge of audit standards and compliance regulations; knowledge of COSO’s Internal Control Framework or The Institute of Internal Audit’s International Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardship