Mastercard Foundation is a global foundation based in Toronto, Canada. Our programs promote financial inclusion and advance youth learning in Africa. The Foundation was established in 2006 through the generosity of Mastercard when it became a public company. From inception, the Foundation was designed to be a separate entity and independent from Mastercar...
Read more about this company
Reporting to the Associate Director, Programs, the Senior Program Manager will be responsible for a portfolio of existing Rural and Agricultural Finance programs and partnerships. They will work collaboratively with the Agriculture Technical Expertise Group Lead and other Foundation staff.
The Senior Program Manager will be expected to provide expertise to identify constraints that prevent agricultural systems from functioning effectively at the country level, including, those that prevent youth from developing skills relevant for work in the sector; agribusinesses from accessing the finance; capacity and markets needed to grow; the development and design of programs in the agricultural sector and incorporating the agricultural sector’s needs into country strategies.
This individual will be expected to interact effectively with senior levels of partner organizations to advance the current work of the Foundation, while concurrently contributing to the Foundation’s country strategy development and new programs.
WAYS YOU CAN CONTRIBUTE
- Identify challenges and opportunities in the agri-food system that can be unlocked through education, labour and financial systems, to drive job growth.
- Provide agricultural sector expertise to support Foundation country teams in the design and management of agricultural and agri-finance programs to scale country-level inclusive education, financial and labour systems in Africa.
- Work closely with Country Team leads, Technical Expertise Groups, and other team members in the development or implementation of new programs, including co-creation of programs and due diligence of potential partners and projects
- Provide perspective and expertise on emerging issues and trends in the agricultural and agri-finance sector, including climate change.
- Lead and supervise small teams of colleagues and/or junior experts by providing coaching and support necessary for success and growth.
- Manage current programs, distilling learnings for Foundation staff and country teams. Includes oversight of day-to-day activities of particular programs or processes, conducting field visits, and reviewing project budgets.
- Communicate progress and learnings from projects to foundation colleagues and the wider development community.
- Contribute insights to the Foundation’s thought leadership on youth employment in Africa.
- Work closely with the program and country teams to leverage synergies across programs and across geographies.
- Build relationships with partner organizations, communities of practice, and global stakeholders.
- Represent the Foundation and collaborate with key internal and external audiences.
- Identify and help overcome challenges and other barriers to team effectiveness.
- Other duties as assigned.
WHO YOU ARE
- Master’s degree or equivalent experience in Finance, Business, Agricultural Economics and/or Financial Inclusion.
- Ten (10) plus years of experience in financing agricultural companies and farmers is required. This experience could include project management and/or field experience working in developing countries.
- Minimum of five (5) years leadership and management experience including managing staff and coaching, mentoring and providing feedback.
- Experience working in commercial agricultural companies operational in Africa
- Experience living and working in Africa.
- Demonstrates a strong understanding of the role of financial inclusion in economic growth and development, particularly in Africa, and as it relates to small holder farmers.
- Understands market and systemic challenges to financial inclusion for rural and agricultural economics in Africa and best practices for addressing them, including M4P (Markets for the Poor) and facilitating market systems.
- Experience and understanding in a variety of value chains (cash and food crops), the small businesses and SMEs along the value chain, and supply chain / logistics in the agri-food system.
- Understanding of the role agri-food and rural SMEs can play in economic transformation and job creation for youth.
- Demonstrates a strong understanding of agricultural markets in Africa and the systemic challenges leading to stagnant growth. Possesses understanding and knowledge of current trends and innovations in agri-finance for value chains, agri SMEs, smallholder farmers and youth engaged in the agri-food system. Experience with global grant making, especially in designing market systems development programs. This experience may come from working in another funding organization, corporation or an NGO.
- Demonstrates strong analytical skills, the ability to think strategically and contribute as a thought partner in the Foundation’s strategy development
- Demonstrates strong budgeting skills with the ability to manage a large portfolio of assets.
- Demonstrates the ability to communicate progress and learnings from projects to colleagues and the wider development community.
- Demonstrates experience in translating technical advice into practical recommendations for program managers and implementers. Command of quantitative and qualitative business analytics.
- Excellent project management skills, including multi-stakeholder projects.
- Proactive, engaged and a self-starter.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Bilingual English and French oral and written language skills preferred.
- Willing to travel up to 40% of the time.
- You are flexible, adaptable, and able to execute a range of job duties and changing priorities.
- You possess excellent verbal, written, and presentation skills with the ability to articulate information to a variety of constituents across cultures.
- You possess professional maturity, sensitivity with different cultures, and impeccable integrity that exemplify the Foundation’s values.
Mastercard Foundation values the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the organization and we are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone
Completion of satisfactory business references and/or proof of education, as well as background checks (criminal, credit and social media) are essential conditions of employment.
If you require accommodation during the recruitment and selection process, please contact the People and Culture Department at [email protected]. We will work with you to provide a positive recruitment experience in a confidential manner.