For the past four decades, UNU has been a go-to think tank for impartial research on the pressing global problems of human survival, conflict prevention, development, and welfare. With more than 400 researchers in 13 countries, UNUs work spans the full breadth of the 17 SDGs, generating policy-relevant knowledge to effect positive global change. UNU maint...
Read more about this company
United Nations University Institute for Natural Resources in Africa (UNU-INRA)
The United Nations University Institute for Natural Resources in Africa (UNU-INRA) is one of fourteen Research and Training Centres and Programmes established by UNU worldwide. The mission of UNU-INRA is to strengthen the capacity of Africa’s universities and research institutions to conduct research and produce well-trained, well-equipped, and motivated individuals, capable of developing, adapting, and disseminating technologies that advance food security, promote conservation and efficient use of the continent’s natural resources for sustainable development.
We are currently looking for an outstanding, creative, entrepreneurial, and enthusiastic individual with a strong commitment and the potential to bring a significant contribution to the activities of UNU-INRA.
Under the supervision of the Director of UNU-INRA, the Communications and Public Relations Associate will:
- support research, develop and recommend policies, procedures, and guidelines with a view to translating the objectives of natural resources management issues to various sub-regional levels in Africa, as well as national/governmental level organisations; develop and produce strategic, economic and regulatory advice on NRM policy to industry, regulators, governments and sub-regional bodies in Africa
- research, compile, and organise information and reference materials from various sources for reports, work plans, studies, briefings, meetings/conferences, etc.
- generate a variety of standard statistical and other reports, work orders, etc., using various databases
- proofread documents and edits texts for accuracy, grammar, punctuation, style, and for adherence to established standards for format
- review and edit data to ensure completeness and accuracy of information; follow up with subjects to resolve problems or clarify data collected
- write and contribute to publications, prepare findings for publication and assist in desktop analysis, quality control, or data management
- utilise good writing, research and public relations skills – able to break complex scientific matters into simple, accessible language
- engage different stakeholder groups and bring to bear their relevance and experience to intersect with UNU-INRA’s overall orientation
- participate in the development and implementation of the institute’s communication strategy
- provide advice to UNU-INRA Staff on outreach strategies and on how to disseminate research results
- support the implementation of UNU-INRA’s strategic rebranding and refocus of UNU-INRA
- good and demonstrated experience in communications for change processes
- possess good branding reflexes that will help in communicating UNU-INRA’s vision, rationale and overall distinctive value proposition in line with UNU-INRA’s credibility, reputation and experience
- produce smart knowledge products that can be retailed to different audiences based on INRA’s activities and research findings
- support the design of dialogue convening spaces as a way of raising INRA’s visibility and relevance in its efforts to build its exclusive brand and advocate for the uptake of key NRM narratives
- identify ways of democratising UNU-INRA’s work through popular methods such as storytelling, the use of Youtube, and other popular forms of translating UNU-INRA’s work into smart, accessible communications products
- conduct research on NRM in ways that will enable the broad understanding of UNU-INRA directions, priority areas to facilitate the design of appropriate communications products and tools to convey UNU-INRA’s work to different audiences
- developing a strong media patronage will be an important endeavor for a successful implementation of INRA’s rebranding strategy
- coordinate media relations and liaise with key stakeholders and policymakers
- organise communications and public relations activities to promote and disseminate research results
- demonstrate advanced knowledge in several communications related tools i.e. using content for op-ed, youtube, blogs, and digital enhancing tools to expand UNU-INRA’s digital footprint
- support UNU-INRA in building a strong digital presence, provide strong content to plan digital campaigns
- develop and present communications and media products to share research results
Networking and Partnerships
- build effective relationships within UN agencies, development partners, and relevant research institutes in Ghana and beyond
- develop specific engagement strategies with demand side groups such as private sector and civil society group to retail specific findings of UNU-INRA’s work and build space to bring opportunities to bear on UNU-INRA’s research
- identify strategic spaces to amplify UNU-INRA’s voice and retail UNU-INRA’s work in selected fora and partners using current flagships events such as the Nature Speaks Lecture Series
- perform any other professional duties as may be required by the Director of UNU-INRA
Required qualifications include:
- a master’s degree or relevant experience in English, journalism or social sciences (exceptional candidates with a bachelor’s degree will be considered) or equivalent in agriculture, development studies, or political science
- demonstrated experience in identifying and analysing issues to provide advice regarding communications and public relation methods
- proven experience in media relations both print and oral
- excellent writing, presentation, and communication skills and demonstrated ability to edit scientific publications
- high-level editorial skills
- working knowledge of French will be an advantage
- familiarity with the work of researchers and proven ability to undertake research
- ability to work independently with little supervision and under tight deadlines
- proven interpersonal skills demonstrated by the ability to work in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity
The ideal candidate will have:
- entrepreneurial spirit
- intellectual stamina and drive
- proven literacy in social media – Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn
- a dynamic, go-getter personality
UNU is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities to apply and become part of the organisation.
UNU has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNU, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
Remuneration will be commensurate with academic qualifications and experience.
Duration of contract
This is full-time employment on a one (1) year Personnel Service Agreement (PSA) contract with UNU-INRA, with the possibility for contract renewal subject to satisfactory work performance.
This is a locally recruited post; no relocation expenses or allowances apply. The successful candidate will be employed under a local contract and will not hold international civil servant status nor be a “staff member” as defined in the United Nations Staff Rules and Regulations. UNU does not sponsor a working visa for this position.