UNDP is the UN's global development network, an organization advocating for change and connecting countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life. We are on the ground in some 170 countries and territories, working with them on their own solutions to global and national development challenges. As they develop local ...
Read more about this company
Clinical Technical D uties
- Within delegated authority, the Nurse shall be responsible for the following duties
- Attend the UN Clinic on a full-time basis;
- Assist the UN Physician in the performance of his/her duties
- Responds to emergency calls during outside office hours when necessary and assists Medical Doctors in providing adequate care;
- Give first-aid and advice to the staff and their recognized dependents;
- Ensures effective liaison between patient and private doctor, paramedics, family members, and colleagues as appropriate;
- Documents case findings.
- Performs diagnostic and screening tests such as: ECG, x-rays, laboratory (blood and urine), and other tests as required.
- Performs clinical assessment of patients visiting the walk-in clinic;
- Facilitates referral to the UN Medical Doctor or to an outside physician, as required.
- Ensures preparedness of staff travelling on missions or reassignments, including administration of appropriate vaccine, instructions on malaria prophylaxis and other travel-related ailments.
- Instructs on the content and potential uses of the travel kit.
- Assists in providing health education and health promotion programs;
- Participates in work environment assessment, e.g. office ergonomics, and addresses other occupational health issues.
- Coordinates medical evacuation and cooperates with Medical Services Division in N.Y. and the receiving facilities in home countries;
- Assists in providing medical support during evacuation and repatriation;
- Advises evacuees on the requirements for evacuation and/or escorts patients if needed;
- Concludes or closes medical evacuation files to enable staff members to submit claims;
- Assist in arrangements for the deceased;
- Designs and implements outreach programs for mission personnel;
- Plans and organizes preventive and promotes medical fairs;
- Perform medical briefing for incoming staff and conduct first aid training;
- Assess needs of clients visiting the walk-in clinic, provides care/advice (e.g., the benefits of preventive medicine etc.) accordingly and facilitates referral to the UN Medical Physician or to an outside physician, as indicated;
- Administer minor “outpatient” treatment and immunization requirements;
- Assists in maintaining records of patients' medical data including consultations and treatment;
- Maintain strict confidentiality with regards to patient’s medical records; patient management and treatment.
- Perform medication, injection, dressing, stitching, foreign body extraction and so on as needed;
- Performs other related duties as require
- Maintain the UN Clinic in good order and keep the inventory of medical supplies and equipment up-to-date and be prepared for disaster;
- In consultation with the UN medical physician, maintain a 24-hour roster of available specialists for referral and treatment;
- Coordinate and supervise the work of other UN Dispensary personnel i.e. Ambulance Driver and Cleaner;
- Check equipment and supplies on a daily, weekly, monthly and yearly basis and maintain them in working order;
- Ensures that medical instruments are properly sterilized and maintains hygiene and cleanliness of the dispensary; sponds to client needs promptly.
- Registered Professional Nurse and first level degree from
- Education: an accredited Baccalaureate Nursing Programme
- (University) or equivalent such as an accredited Diploma
- Programme (4 years).
- Certificates in ECG, CPR or Basic Life Support and
- ACLS or equivalent emergency medical care is an asset.
- Recognized additional training in primary health care and midwifery is desirable;
- HIV/AIDS Management training is desirable National registration and license is a requirement.
- Minimum 5 years of continuous clinical experience in
- Experience: nursing preferably in a multicultural environment;
- Intensive Care and health administration. Supervisory experience in a UN field operation is an asset. Knowledge and understanding of relevant UN administrative policies and procedures is desirable.
- Experience in Trauma and Emergency care is desirable;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) is desirable.
- Fluency in oral and written English; knowledge of other
- Language Requirements: official UN languages is an advantage.
- Professionalism: Knowledge and experience in clinical/occupational nursing.
- Planning and Organising: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; ability to establish priorities and to plan and co-ordinate own work plan; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Commitment to continuous learning: Initiative and willingness to keep abreast of new skills in the nursing field.
- Technology Awareness: Proficiency in relevant medical software packages.
- Teamwork: Good interpersonal skills; ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Communication: Ability to write in a clear and concise manner and to communicate effectively orally
- Client Orientation: Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion. Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines. Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients. Re
go to method of application »
Summary of Key Functions:
- Implementation of operational strategies
- Support to effective and efficient functioning of the unit (DRR’s office/operations unit/ administrative unit)
- Support to administrative and logistical services
- Support to office maintenance and assets management
- Support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing
- Maintenance of the registry system
- Effective mail management
- Cost recovery for pouch services
Ensures implementation of operational strategies, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of administrative activities with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies.
- Provision of inputs to the CO administrative business processes mapping and implementation of the internal standard operating procedures (SOPs).
- Provision of inputs to preparation of administrative team results-oriented workplans.
Ensures maintenance of registry system focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Set up and maintenance of the office filing system in accordance with the UNDP Global Filing System
- Opening of new subject files as required and disposal of old files in accordance with the established retention schedule.
- Maintenance of archives, making sure files are properly stored and accessible; safe keeping of documents
- Provision of photocopies of material from the confidential registry files, as requested by staff. Assistance in the collection of reference and background material from registry files
- Establishment and maintenance of records system of file movements within the office; maintenance of the office circulation and reading files.
- Preparation of correspondence and reports related to registry activities
- Supervision of the Registry support staff
- Participation in the creation and maintenance of an electronic registry/archive system in close cooperation with the ICT staff
Ensures effective administrative and logistical support, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Arrangement of vehicle transportation, regular vehicle maintenance and insurance.
- Checking and recording of vehicle daily log and gas consumption, update and maintenance of vehicle history report.
- Custodian for management of office stationery supplies including maintenance of stock list of stationery, distribution of stationery as required by staff and keeping a log of distribution.
- Maintenance of the filing system ensuring safekeeping of confidential materials.
- Extraction of data from various sources.
- Research and retrieval of statistical data from internal and external sources; preparation of statistical charts, tables and reports.
- Follow up on deadlines, commitments made, actions taken and coordination of collection and submission of the reports to head of unit.
- Assistance in the preparation of budget, provision of information for audit.
Provides support to office maintenance and assets management, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Maintenance of records on assets management, preparation of reports.
- Maintenance of files and records relevant to office maintenance
- Provision of support to maintenance of common premises and common services
Support knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Participation in the training for the operations/projects staff on administration.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Building Strategic Partnerships
- Level 1.1: Maintaining information and databases
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives
- Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
- Level 1.1: Basic research and analysis
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
- Level 1.1: Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Promoting Organizational Change and Development
- Level 1.1: Presentation of information on best practices in organizational change
- Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions
- Design and Implementation of Management Systems
- Level 1.1: Data gathering and implementation of management systems
- Uses information/databases/other management systems
- Level 1.1: Maintains effective client relationships
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Responds to client needs promptly
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management
- Level 1.1: Gathering and disseminating information
- Gathers and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
- UNDP Procurement Certification programme
Required Skills and Experience
- Education: Secondary education. Certification in administration desirable.
- Experience: 5 years of relevant experience in administration or programme support service. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.). Experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Language Requirements: Fluency in the UN and national language of the duty station.