Want to get a job fast?
Signup and complete your profile on MyJobMag. Employers will find you 4x faster with a complete profile. You can download your completed profile anytime Signup Now
University of Ghana, the premier university and the largest university in Ghana was founded as the University College of the Gold Coast by Ordinance on August 11, 1948 for the purpose of providing and promoting university education, learning and research.
Read more about this company
To provide support for operating policies and procedures with a focus on online course development, faculty training and mentoring and multi-media and production services in support of online instructional programs offered through the University in line with learning management initiatives for the achievement of the objectives of the University.
- Manages online course development, faculty training and mentoring and quality initiatives for eLearning and instructional design.
- Ensures accessibility issues related to online instruction are addressed and compliance with applicable regulations adhered to.
- Oversees the planning, implementation and evaluation of production services using a variety of media.
- Supervises professional, technical/support staff in the management of issues resolution and inquiries from College departments, the community and/or external agencies and partners.
- Initiates operating policies and procedures with a focus on online course development, faculty training and mentoring and multi-media and production services in support of online instructional programs offered through the University.
- Oversee the performance of day-to-day administration and maintenance of the Sakai Learning Management System.
- Oversee the provision of timely and efficient troubleshooting assistance to users by investigating all questions/issues relating to the LMS and taking appropriate action for resolution..
- Manage the creation and enforcement of LMS standards, policies, and procedures
- Establish and maintain a strong vendor relationship to accomplish business objectives, including escalation of critical issues and troubleshooting critical Sakai functionality.
- Provide role-based system training as needed.
- Provide and make recommendations for systemic process improvements.
- Evaluate, recommend, and pilot new technologies as appropriate.
- Prepare, deliver and manage reports, recommendations, or alternative solutions to address existing and future business needs as related to LMS data.
- Coordinate the generation of ad hoc and recurring reports generated in the LMS.
- Design, run and analyse reports created outside of the LMS as needed.
- Design and develop online learning materials and help for applications using University of Ghana standards and development tools.
- Plan and organize periodic e-content training for lecturers.
- Assist lecturers to convert paper-based teaching materials into electronic and web-based versions.
Qualification Required & Experience
The applicant must be a staff of the University of Ghana at the grade of at least, Principal ICT Assistant and have:
- A Master’s Degree in Management Information Sciences
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or Information Studies
- A minimum of Ten (10) years relevant post qualification working experience.
- A minimum of Six (6) years of experience administering an LMS.
- Experience with database administration
Required knowledge, Skills and Attributes:
- Outstanding problem-solving, analytical, organizational, and time management skills.
- Knowledge of MySQL and Redhat Linux.
- Ability to manage multiple concurrent objectives and projects.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills with the ability to multi-task, prioritize and work under deadlines.
- Excellent communicator who works well in team environment, appreciates challenge, comfortable and effective working in new areas that require experimentation and rapid problem solving.
- Knowledge of one or more content authoring tools highly desirable (Adobe Captivate, Articulate, etc)
- Possess outstanding customer service skills.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- skills in developing high quality, standard-based online course design and development skills;
- Basic budgeting principles and practices;
- Project management principles and practices;
- Video, multi-media, and graphic material production principles and practices;
- Knowledge of Applicable software systems utilized in daily operations;
- Knowledge of Applicable digital production equipment;
- Knowledge of eLearning principles and practices;
- Knowledge and understanding of current and emerging educational technology.
- Ability to work with diverse academic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds of community college students and staff;
- Ability to utilize computer technology for communication, data gathering and reporting activities.
go to method of application »
- To design, develop, create or customize software or specialized software tools and utilities with the aim of optimizing operational efficiency for the achievement of the objectives of the University
- Document business requirements using formalism such Unified Modelling Language (UML) or other object-oriented modeling tools;
- Coordinate software system installation and monitor equipment functioning to ensure specifications are met;
- Develop and direct software system testing and validation procedures, programming, and documentation;
- Modify existing software to correct errors, to adapt to new hardware, or to improve its performance;
- Obtain and evaluate information on factors such as reporting formats required, costs, and security needs to ensure optimum design;
- Store, retrieve, and manipulate data for analysis of system capabilities and requirements;
- Write computer programs of higher complexity or with specific performance, connectivity or business logic requirements;
- Elaborate Enterprise Software and Hardware Architecture orientation and monitor compliance to design principles and guidelines;
- Supervise the work of programmers, technologists and technicians and other engineering and scientific personnel.
Qualification Required & Experience
The applicant must be a staff of the University of Ghana at the grade of at least, Principal ICT Assistant and:
- have a good first degree plus a Masters’ Degree in computer science, software/computer systems engineering, or equivalent;
- Minimum of five years working experience in a related programming environment;
- Certification in a programming tool/language is an advantage; and,
- have at least 10 years relevant post-second degree qualification experience.
Required knowledge, Skills and Attributes:
- Strong understanding of relational and conventional database technology, tools and techniques, standard operating systems, database products and needs, and performance tuning techniques;
- Requires a good knowledge of Unix and Database Management Systems (DBMS);
- Excellent knowledge of structured query language (SQL);
- A good knowledge of Oracle Weblogic server and Application Development Framework (ADF);
- Expertise in application development using oracle’s PL/SQL, Java Application Development, C++ and .Net Framework;
- Hands-on experience in programming;
- Ability to maintain a professional behaviour in all situations;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to Analyze user needs and software requirements to determine feasibility of design within time and cost constraints;
- Excellent project management skills;
- Able to communicate well with stakeholders at all levels;
- Excellent planning, organising and presentation skills;
- Able to lead and work as part of a team, solution orientated, proactive and motivated with good time management skills;
- Multi-tasking to work on multiple projects at once required;
- Demonstrated ability to maintain accurate records and meet or exceed institutional goals;
- Ability to identify complex problems and review related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; and,
- Ability to troubleshoot software and hardware issues.
- Analytical Thinking – Job requires analyzing information and using logic to address work-related issues and problems.
- Attention to Detail – Job requires being careful about detail and thorough in completing work tasks.
- Dependability – Job requires being reliable, responsible, and dependable, and fulfilling obligations.
- Integrity – The position requires a high level of integrity, as the position holder will be exposed to confidential and sensitive information.
- Innovation – Job requires creativity and alternative thinking to develop new ideas for and answers to work-related problems.
Method of Application
An applicant is required to submit the complete application pack to the
University of Ghana,
P. O. Box LG 25,
(Hard copy); or
[email protected] (Soft copy). The application pack should contain the following:
Completed application form for Senior Administrative and Professional employees (UAB Form 1B) to be downloaded from the University’s website at: www.ug.edu.gh/hrodd;
An up to date Curriculum Vitae;
Copies of relevant educational and professional certificates; and,
Two reference letters, at least one of which should be from a Head of Unit in the University of Ghana, with whom the applicant has worked.
The reference letters should, among others, include the following information on the candidate:
- Professional competence and work output
- Leadership abilities and sense of responsibility.
- General Contribution to the work of the University (or relevant organization)
- Interpersonal skills
- Any other relevant information
Learn how to get a job in any industry you want. Read 72 Hours to The Job You Love