Abt Associates is working on a wide range of efforts in Ghana, including programs to protect people from malaria, strengthen the country's health system, evaluate the impact of financial incentives on agriculture, expand clean energy and boost regional and global trade.
Abt Associates is seeking a qualified Biodiversity Manager to support the anticipated USAID West Africa Biodiversity and Low Emission Development Activity (WABiLED). This position located in Accra, Ghana, will provide overall strategic direction, technical leadership, and implementation for the task order under the STARR II IDIQ. The Biodiversity Manager will support the Chief of Party (COP) in management of the Biodiversity Team and all research, design, implementation, and monitoring activities and cross-cutting tasks related to that objective. The Manager will provide thought leadership, technical guidance and expertise, and lead implementation activities for interactions between the team and local governments.
The position will lead efforts to promote biodiversity conservation, natural resource management, forest management (deforestation and forest degradation)) and climate resiliency in West Africa and will focus on countries in the West Africa (Cote d’Ivoire, Guinea, Liberia, Sierra Leone) region to improve governance and policy over critical natural and human systems. By working through regional partners, and with targeted national and sub-national institutions, this position lead to increased capacity of institutions at all levels to reduce deforestation and forest degradation, establish and strengthen management of conservation areas in biodiverse landscapes, and improve land use to achieve biodiversity and sustainable landscape objectives.
This position is contingent upon award.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Providing technical leadership in the development of analysis and the evidence base that can help USAID clients and governments in:
- The design of biodiversity and natural resource programs, potentially including 1) conservation and management of high-priority natural land, marine, and coastal areas; 2) managing natural resources for sustainable human use; and 3) combating conservation crimes.
- The integration of biodiversity and natural resource management dimensions into other sectors, such as governance, policy development, infrastructure development, etc.
- Scaling biodiversity conservation and land-based emissions reduction.
- Establishing lessons learned and regional experiences to scale results and reduce the drivers negatively affecting the natural resource base
- Leading engagement and technical discussions with the client and other stakeholders on activities focusing on biodiversity and natural resource management
- Leading the development of innovative approaches for biodiversity and natural resource management that address the client’s needs
- Providing subject matter expertise to support the development of technical strategies, implementation plans, MEL, communication, and knowledge management activities
- Overseeing the work of team members, consultants and sub-contractors working on biodiversity to ensure achievement work plan objectives and targets, and timely/effective implementation
- Graduate Degree (minimum) in environmental and natural resource management, biodiversity and conservation, biology, environmental sciences, forestry, or another relevant field
- Minimum 10 years of professional experience in environmental and natural resource management, biodiversity and conservation, biology, environmental sciences, forestry, or another relevant field
- Ability to resolve sensitive and complicated work issues with senior high-level country counterparts, donor representative and senior-level staff
- Sound understanding of USAID’s policies, requirements and existing tools to support natural resource management, including Biodiversity and Tropical Forest Analysis (FAA 118-119), and for environmental compliance
- Demonstrated experience interacting with government agencies, civil society counterparts, and international donor agencies; USAID experience strongly preferred
- Proven experience working across sectors and leading inter-disciplinary teams
- Demonstrated team player with effective cross-cultural interpersonal skills; able to develop and communicate a common vision among diverse partners and lead multidisciplinary teams
- Should demonstrate excellent interpersonal, managerial, organizational, oral and written communication skills, and proven leadership abilities within a multi-partner initiative
- Demonstrated experience interacting with government agencies, civil society counterparts, and international donor agencies; USAID experience preferred
- Fluency in English and language skills in French are highly desirable
- (8+) years of experience and a master degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits.