WASCAL seeks to hire Business Development Manager to complement its team for fundraising efforts. The position is international and shall be based at the WASCAL Headquarters in Accra, Ghana.
WASCAL is an international research and education-focused institution designed to provide knowledge and climate services that should help tackle the climate change challenge and thereby enhance the resilience of human and environmental systems. It does so by strengthening the research capacity and infrastructure in West Africa related to climate change by pooling the expertise of 11 West African countries and Germany. The West African countries include: Benin, Burkina Faso, Cabo Verde, Côte d‘Ivoire, The Gambia, Ghana, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal and Togo.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the successful candidate will be expected to:
- Enlarge the range of stakeholder financial contribution to WASCAL activities
- Drive partnership and business development strategies to increase revenue of WASCAL by finding new opportunities, researching leads and establishing relationships with potential sponsors.
- Support the organisations of strategic fundraising and partnerships development events (Donors roundtable, Stakeholders conference, etc.)
- Build infrastructure, processes, and best practices to support the work of partnership and business development, including the introduction of tools and systems as needed
- Work collaboratively with the Executive Director and Executive Management Team to define and/or refine fundraising strategies
- Set, measure, and reach goals, plans for the partnerships, business development and WASCAL climate services
- Support the preparation of regular stakeholders’ conference and strategic meetings on fundraising
- Support the process engaged by WASCAL for the accreditation to the environment funds (Green climate Fund and the GEF) as well as other relevant international networks
- Support WASCAL for the development of projects portfolio (concepts notes, and proposals writing and implementation and climate services implementation)
- Contact potential clients to establish rapport and arrange meetings.
- Plan and oversee new marketing initiatives.
- Research organizations and individuals to find new opportunities with bilateral, multilateral partners and private actors.
- Train personnel and help team members develop their skills
Required Skills or Experience
Desired Skills and Experience
- Minimum of Master’s Degree in Business Administration with specialization in business development, fundraising, marketing or related field.
- A Ph.D. degree in any of the above-mentioned disciplines will be an added value
- High degree in marketing and sales in or with international organizations and foundations
- At least five years post qualification experience
- High degree of initiative, self-motivation and ability to manage complex projects and multi tasks
- Good track record in resource mobilization and research proposal development
- Experience in developing training materials and organizing and conducting trainings
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, experience in working and interacting effectively with a variety of stakeholders, and demonstrated ability to collaborate well across disciplines and with key collaborative institutions and agencies
- Strong publication and record in peer reviewing journals
- Excellent written and spoken communication in English and French
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Ability to generate new ideas and implement them
- Ability to work as part of a dynamic and multicultural team
Applications, including a cover letter (no more than two pages) with a statement of motivation, and highlighting the candidate's experience against the criteria listed above (desired skills and experience), and a curriculum vitae including a list of financial or funds mobilized including list of donors and amounts and beneficial structures as well as publications, with names addresses and e-mail addresses of three professional referees should be emailed to [email protected]. Please indicate the job title in the subject line. Candidates must come from one of the ECOWAS member countries.