Mastercard Foundation is a global foundation based in Toronto, Canada. Our programs promote financial inclusion and advance youth learning in Africa. The Foundation was established in 2006 through the generosity of Mastercard when it became a public company. From inception, the Foundation was designed to be a separate entity and independent from Mastercar...
Read more about this company
Reporting to the Associate Director, Research, the goal of each Manager / Senior Manager is to catalyze learning and evidenced-based decision-making across the Foundation and within our network of stakeholders. Working within the Strategy & Learning team, and closely with Programs and Communications, these individuals will drive execution of our Research Framework through strategic partnership development and sector engagement. The successful candidates will be proactive and collaborative self-starters who demonstrate flexibility and ownership for finding new opportunities and for leveraging knowledge.
WAYS YOU CAN CONTRIBUTE
Knowledge Development & Subject Matter Expertise
- Lead the implementation of core areas of the Foundation-wide research framework.
- Develop and manage strategic research partnerships that generate evidence and insights in our priority areas.
- Provide subject matter expertise regarding the state of evidence and knowledge in key area(s).
- Lead and/or guide regular updates of the evidence map informing our work, scanning the emerging literature and practice for relevant evidence to guide our programs and investments.
- Lead the planning, design and implementation of mixed-method approaches of independent evaluations, including but not limited to, impact evaluations.
Partner and Project Management
- Commission research projects and partners, including drafting Request for Proposals, managing proposal and partner selection, and contracting processes.
- Support and/or lead institutional strengthening initiatives that advance the further development of African research organizations and networks.
- Manage ongoing projects with a wide variety of research partners with a wide range of experience, expertise, and capacity.
- Ensure research compliance with relevant ethical guidelines and policies, including local regulations and Foundation policies and guidelines.
- Contribute to the active management of the Research & Evaluation Database and promote its usage amongst Foundation colleagues.
- Lead and/or support the revision and implementation of Foundation Research & Evaluation policy and approach, including internal guidance, tools, processes, and information management.
- Lead the effective internal and external use of research-related evidence, including the uptake of research results by Foundation teams, both in Toronto and Africa.
- Contribute to a learning culture within the Foundation that is reflective, people-focused, and rooted in evidence.
- Actively engage in writing and dissemination of thought pieces that convey Foundation learning and positions on a range of topics.
- Engage with Communications and Thought Leadership teams to creatively highlight research findings in non-traditional means that target our core audiences.
- Represent the Foundation at relevant sector events, including relevant research conferences, convenings and program-related events.
- Network and liaise with a range of internal and external stakeholders regarding the Foundation’s research approach and priorities, including colleagues, implementation partners, research partners, young people, other donors, and other development sector organizations.
- One position will focus on building partnerships and networks, addressing the Changing Nature of Work. Prior experience/knowledge of issues related to the future of work, including technology, climate change, and scenario planning would be an asset.
- One position will focus on strengthening research institutions and networks. Prior experience/knowledge of institutional strengthening initiatives and approaches is required.
WHO YOU ARE
- Graduate degree in a related discipline such as Development Studies, Economics, Sociology, Anthropology, Political Science, International Affairs, etc. PhD degree is an asset.
- Extensive knowledge and experience in one or more core areas of the Foundation’s work, including private sector development, employment creation, financial inclusion, education systems and policy, digital economy, and/or youth development.
- Five – ten years of experience in research and/or evaluation.
- Excellent analytical and interpretive skills with the ability to synthesize large amounts of information and communicate effectively.
- Knowledge and experience in research methods, including qualitative and/or quantitative approaches. Experience with mixed methods approaches and new technologies in data collection, synthesis and analysis is highly valued.
- Knowledge of research ethics, including institutional review boards, government ethics approvals, and integrating ethics considerations in research and evaluation practices.
- Excellent project management skills with a high tolerance for ambiguity, with a proven ability to manage multiple activities in a fast-paced environment.
- Astute ability to adapt to changing priorities within a fast-paced and results-driven work environment with a “roll up the sleeves” attitude.
- Excellent listening and interpersonal skills with demonstrated experience collaborating effectively across multiple functions/geographies with both internal/external partners.
- Deep sense of curiosity with an interest in learning and ability to turn learnings into actionable strategies.
- Exceptional cross-cultural skills and demonstrated commitment to gender inclusion and youth engagement.
- Strong service orientation with experience understanding and addressing user needs.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills in English; French is an asset.
- Conscientious and methodical with an impeccable attention to detail.
- High level of proficiency with MS Suite (Office 365, SharePoint)
- Knowledge of tools and software programs for quantitative and qualitative analysis.
- Professional maturity and sensitivity to working within different cultures.
- Impeccable integrity.
- Willingness and ability to travel, up to 20%.
- Senior Managers: proven capability to lead a team of direct reports.
- You are flexible, adaptable, and able to execute a range of job duties and changing priorities.
- You possess excellent verbal, written, and presentation skills with the ability to articulate information to a variety of constituents across cultures.
- You possess professional maturity, sensitivity with different cultures, and impeccable integrity that exemplify the Foundation’s values.
Mastercard Foundation values the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the organization and we are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone.
Completion of satisfactory business references and/or proof of education, as well as background checks (criminal, credit and social media) are essential conditions of employment.
If you require accommodation during the recruitment and selection process, please contact the People and Culture Department at [email protected]. We will work with you to provide a positive recruitment experience in a confidential manner.