Never pay for any CBT, test or assessment as part of any recruitment process. When in doubt, contact us
Newmont is the world’s leading gold company and a producer of copper, silver, zinc and lead. The Company’s world-class portfolio of assets, prospects and talent is anchored in favorable mining jurisdictions in North America, South America, Australia and Africa.
About The Job
About This Role
- To coordinate and provide shift direction to the operators on operational activities of the mine crew in the open pit area, in a safe manner, and coordinate resource allocations to effectively complete the activities.
In This Role You Will
Mine Operations Planning and Operational Execution:
- Oversee the shift to daily operational execution of mine plans.
- Put in short interval controls, based on the mine plan, and make any necessary adjustments and changes to the shift, to meet daily target projections.
- Install physical critical controls (i.e., flags, cones) and make sure that all are in place before, during and after the shift.
- Coordinate and pair operators with the relevant equipment required to execute tasks.
- Allocate job assignments to Operators.
- Frequently inspect dumping locations and ensure that windrows are built to the right heights and material are sent to the dumps.
Hold Operators accountable for the work completed by:
- Administering discipline and facilitating corrective actions
- Monitoring the KPI’s of crew members / Operators.
- Explaining the plan to Operators and providing clear instructions.
- Implementing continuous improvement initiatives.
- Managing hot-shift changeovers between crews.
- Supervise the operators in the loading and hauling of material from the pit.
- Supervise the operators in the implementation and completion of road maintenance.
- Supervise the implementation of reclamation, wall cleaning, road construction and maintenance activities.
Health And Safety Management:
- Adhere strictly to internal Newmont health and safety standards.
- Accept personal responsibility for the health and safety of every employee under or assigned to his / her supervision.
- Provide hands-on assistance during operations activities and ensure that Operators follow safe work practice.
- Coordinate the inspection of Mine Operations work hazards, prior to the start of the shift, to detect immediate safety, personnel, and production problems.
- Revert to the Engineering team to potentially change shift plans for a particular area, arising out of work hazard detection.
- Conduct periodic safety meetings and safety inspections.
- Lead daily pre-shift staff debriefings.
- Attend monthly safety inspection and meetings.
- Create a suitable shift work environment to motivate Operators to achieve optimum effectiveness and productivity.
Supervise all direct reports by:
- Conducting crew assessments.
- Developing the team to perform at their best capabilities.
- Contributing to performance appraisals.
- Participating in team performance management calibrations.
- Recommending further / relevant training courses and development actions in accordance with Newmont’s people development program(s).
- Implementing training schedules for staff.
- Coaching and mentoring staff.
- Disciplining deficient performance or actions.
- Enhancing communication with staff through regular feedback, contact, meetings and briefings.
Mine Operations Post-Shift Handover:
- Communicate and provide work status handovers to incoming Shift Supervisor.
- Communicate with the Dispatcher regarding hazards encountered to provide sufficient information to Operators for the smooth running of operations.
- Communicate with advanced Dispatcher regarding any shift changes that need to be considered.
Prepare shift-end logbook report to outline shift activities and include information such as:
Mine Shift Operations Optimisation And Continuous Improvement:
- Suggest opportunities for continuous improvement for Mine Operations activities.
- Report and escalate all accidents and incidents occurring in the shift to the General Foreman for immediate review.
Stakeholder Management And Engagement:
- Coordinate with Maintenance, Underground, Load and Haul and Engineering in the completion of daily Mine Operations shift activities.
- Obtain suggestions from other Newmont departments, in identifying opportunities for improving mine efficiency and productivity.
- Consult with the Training Department to arrange the receipt of training schedules and times for the national workforce.
- Oversee that Mine Operations shift work meets established statutory standards in the operation of the mine.
Your Training, Skills & Experience Checklist
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Bachelors’ Degree in Mine / Civil Engineering, Geology or related field.
- Mine Foreman Certificate.
- Ghana Statutory Certification for First Aid and Blasting.
- Minimum of 5 – 8 years’ experience in a mining environment, with a minimum 2 – 3 years’ experience should be in a shift supervisory capacity.
- Advanced planning, organizing and prioritizing skills.
- Great analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Good technical communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Good computer literacy skills - Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook), Microsoft Project and Ellipse.
- Good information monitoring and management skills.
- Good presentation skills.
- Good facilitation and consultation skills.
- Good negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
- Good supervisory skills.
- Good coaching and mentoring skills.
- Ability to identify and analyze organizational needs.
- Detail oriented.
- Goal oriented.
- Reliable and independent.
- Results driven.
- Safety conscious.
- Team player.
- Technically inclined.
- Ability to work well under pressure.
- Position is in a very remote location. The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representatives of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform essential functions of this job.
- Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- Physical Demands: While performing the duties of the job, the employee is required to sit at a desk for extended periods, climb stairs, walk and stand.
- Work Environment: The noise level in the field environment is minimal. Occasional exposure to noise, fumes, elevated temperature, hazardous materials, sharp edges, dust, pinch-points, vibration, slippery surfaces, extreme weather conditions.
- Protective Equipment: Work requires mandatory Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) such as helmet, goggles, high visible clothing, safety harness, ear plugs and dust mask according to working conditions.
- Incumbent occasionally has to work overtime.
We understand no candidate will meet every single desired qualification. If your experience looks a little different from what we’ve identified and you think you can bring value to the role, we’d love to learn more about you!