Deloitte is the largest private professional services network in the world. Every day, approximately 263,900 professionals in more than 150 countries demonstrate their commitment to a single vision: to be the standard of excellence, while working towards one purpose to make an impact that matters.
The USAID West Africa Energy Program (WAEP) works to expand supply of and access to affordable and reliable grid-connected electricity services in West Africa through a range of technical assistance, capacity building, and transactional support to advance Power Africa’s objective in the West Africa region. WAEP will implement targeted interventions to achieve the following three outcomes:
- Increase the supply of power in Ghana/West Africa
- Enable expanded end-user connection to the grid
- Improve the technical and institutional capacity and performance of select national utilities, and other relevant national power sector entities
The Productive Use Energy Expert will conceptualize strategy, approach and specific technical assistance to provide under each of these activities:
- Design proposed TA together with engagement guidelines to create awareness of the benefits of PUE
- Identify specific areas for PUE in the various communities and develop financial models that will facilitate the implementation of the PUE activities
General Functions of the Position
The Employee shall perform the following general functions:
- Effectively inspire, support, and ensure the day-to-day personal performance of all staff under the Employee’s supervision in compliance with the Project Work Plan and the Project administrative and policy manual;
- Support the development and implementation of the Project’s technical efforts on CLIN 2 (Ghana) Programs.
- Effectively liaise with the CLIN 2 technical teams, cross-cutting team and divisions of USAID on all aspects of the Project Work Plan implementation;
- Conduct all business in a manner that respects local culture;
- Maintain high ethical standards at all times, avoiding any actual or perceived conflicts of interest;
- Abide by all local laws, USAID regulations, and US Embassy/USAID project directives, whether written or verbal; and
- Perform any and all tasks as may be assigned by the Chief of Party or his/her designee as may be required to contribute to the achievement of Project goals and objectives.
Specific Tasks Applicable to the Position
As directed by the Chief of Party or his/her designee, the employee shall perform, oversee, and support the performance of the following specific tasks in collaboration with relevant stakeholders:
- Develop an effective strategy to promote PUE in Ghana
- Validate and replicate at least three financially-viable business models for productive use of grid electricity in agribusiness activities in the Feed the Future Zone of Influence.
- Identify opportunities to couple electrification programs with economic growth in Ghana.
- Develop an effective strategy to create larger electricity consumers to anchor the utility economics of Northern Electricity Development Company (NEDCo).
- Conduct training and capacity building for NEDCo, Ministry of Energy, Ministry of Food and Agriculture and also skills development in the FtF zones for the promotion of PUE.
- Develop a community outreach manual for the promotion of PUE
- Possess a Bachelor’s and Master’s degree in economics, finance or any related field.
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in the agriculture sector in Ghana or Sub – Saharan African offering technical assistance or advisory services to improve the value chain in the sector.
- Prior experience in supporting and developing agribusinesses in Ghana or Sub – Saharan
- Understanding of Financing in Agribusiness in Ghana or Sub – Saharan
- Previous experience with USAID and Power Africa preferred, and/or with donor agency programs
- Demonstrated experience operating in developing country environments, including conducting technical activities and surveys.
- Strong analytical skills required
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills and ability to solve complex problems
- Ability to write, communicate, and prepare engagement materials fluently in English