Abt Associates is working on a wide range of efforts in Ghana, including programs to protect people from malaria, strengthen the country's health system, evaluate the impact of financial incentives on agriculture, expand clean energy and boost regional and global trade.
Abt Associates is seeking a qualified Sustainable Landscapes Manager to support the anticipated USAID West Africa Biodiversity and Low Emission Development Activity (WABiLED). This position located in Accra, Ghana, will provide overall strategic direction, technical leadership, and implementation for the task order under the STARR II IDIQ. The Sustainable Landscapes Manager will support the Chief of Party (COP) in management of the Sustainable Landscapes Team and all research, design, implementation, and monitoring activities and cross-cutting tasks related to that objective. The Manager will provide thought leadership, technical guidance and expertise, and lead implementation activities for interactions between the team and local governments.
The position will lead efforts to establish standards for sustainable landscapes, low greenhouse gas emissions in the West Africa (Cote d’Ivoire, Guinea, Liberia, Sierra Leone) region and efforts to improve governance and policy in critical natural and human systems. By working through regional partners, and with targeted national and sub-national institutions, this position will lead to increased capacity of institutions at all levels to establish land-based greenhouse gas mitigation pathways and their associated co-benefits, such as biodiversity conservation, avoiding forest conversion, soil and water resources protection, and improved livelihoods.
This position is contingent upon award.
Key Roles And Responsibilities
- Providing technical leadership in the development of analysis and the evidence base that can help USAID clients and governments in:
- The design of land use, sustainable landscape, low emission, clean energy, and other forestry and agricultural programs that aim to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions and achieve other co-benefits.
- The integration of climate adaptation and risk management into the design and management of USAID programs, including through the use of USAID’s Climate Risk Mitigation toolkit.
- Leading engagement, technical discussions, and the development of innovative approaches with the client and other stakeholders on activities focusing on sustainable landscapes, low emission standards, avoiding forest conversion, and climate change
- Providing subject matter expertise to support the development of technical strategies, implementation plans, MEL, communication, and knowledge management activities
- Overseeing the work of team members, consultants and sub-contractors working on greenhouse gas emissions standards and policies development and climate change activities to ensure achievement work plan objectives and targets, and timely/effective implementation
- Graduate Degree (minimum) in environmental and natural resource management, climate change, environmental sciences, public policy, economics, engineering, or another relevant field
- Minimum 10 years of professional experience in environmental and natural resource management, climate change, environmental sciences, public policy, economics, engineering, or another relevant field
- Ability to resolve sensitive and complicated work issues with senior high-level country counterparts, donor representative and senior-level staff
- Sound understanding of USAID’s policies, requirements and existing tools on climate change, clean energy, and low emission standards, development, and policies
- Proven experience working across sectors and leading inter-disciplinary teams
- Demonstrated team player with effective cross-cultural interpersonal skills; able to develop and communicate a common vision among diverse partners and lead multidisciplinary teams
- Should demonstrate excellent interpersonal, managerial, organizational, oral and written communication skills, and proven leadership abilities within a multi-partner initiative
- Demonstrated experience interacting with government agencies, civil society counterparts, and international donor agencies; USAID experience preferred
- Fluency in English and language skills in French are highly desirable
- (8+) years of experience and a master degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience