Deloitte is the largest private professional services network in the world. Every day, approximately 263,900 professionals in more than 150 countries demonstrate their commitment to a single vision: to be the standard of excellence, while working towards one purpose to make an impact that matters.
The USAID West Africa Energy Program (WAEP) works to expand supply of and access to affordable and reliable grid-connected electricity services in West Africa through a range of technical assistance, capacity building, and transactional support to advance Power Africa’s objective in the West Africa region. WAEP will implement targeted interventions to achieve the following three outcomes:
- Increase the supply of power in Ghana/West Africa
- Enable expanded end-user connection to the grid
- Improve the technical and institutional capacity and performance of select national utilities, and other relevant national power sector entities
The Utility Management Advisor (Ghana) will review activities that address improvement in the performance of utilities as indicated in Ghana Outcome 3 as well as other overlapping activities especially those that are aimed at reducing the cost of grid-connected electricity.
General Functions of the Position
The Employee shall perform the following general functions:
- Effectively inspire, lead, manage, and ensure the day-to-day personal performance of all staff under the Employee’s supervision in compliance with the Project Work Plan and the Project administrative and policy manual;
- Lead the development and implementation of the Project’s utility management efforts on CLIN 2 (Ghana) Programs.
- Effectively liaise with the CLIN 2 technical teams, cross-cutting team and divisions of USAID on all aspects of the Project Work Plan implementation;
- Conduct all business in a manner that respects local culture;
- Maintain high ethical standards at all times, avoiding any actual or perceived conflicts of interest;
- Abide by all local laws, USAID regulations, and US Embassy/USAID project directives, whether written or verbal; and
- Perform any and all tasks as may be assigned by the Chief of Party or his/her designee as may be required to contribute to the achievement of Project goals and objectives.
Specific Tasks Applicable to the Position
The Utility Management Advisor role will focus mainly on CLIN 2 activities. As directed by the Chief of Party or his/her designee, the Employee shall perform, oversee, and support the performance of the following specific tasks:
- Lead a team to implement change management to bring down AT&C losses by at least 15% from current levels in selected districts in the distribution system.
- Serve as resource person to provide feedback on the overall management of the various activities across all Intermediate Results and recommend needed modifications
- Possess a Master’s degree in economics, engineering, finance, management or other relevant field, particularly in energy sector
- Minimum of 15 years’ experience in the energy sector, with at least 10 years in utility management
- Experience working in similar context in West Africa region
- Previous experience with USAID and Power Africa preferred, and/or with donor agency programs
- Demonstrated experience operating in developing country environments, including conducting technical activities
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills and ability to solve complex problems
- Ability to write, communicate, and prepare engagement materials fluently in English