Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.Newmonts Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Gha...
Read more about this company
- To develop strategic health, safety and security programs, systems and assurance to manage existing and emerging risks across the Africa regions operational, exploration and project portfolio.
- Lead the development of the regional health, safety and security risks strategies, policy and practices focusing on exposure to fatality and injury risks.
- Design the integration of existing and future health, safety and security tools e.g. FRM and Critical Learning (in partnership with HR, S&ER, Legal, OT & IT) Security threat and risk assessment.
- Provide strategic safety subject matter expertise on regional and global initiatives.
- Design the integration and customisation of health, safety and security assurance into business wide assurance programmes.
- Review end to end processes to identify innovation or technology efficiency opportunities.
- Assume core member of the global HSS leadership team.
- Assume the regional HSS lead and provide technical mentoring, career mapping and talent management.
- Undertake comprehensive analysis of regional and site based trends in health, safety and security risks to support performance improvement across the business.
- Integrate systems and processes (system design) based on analysis and learnings e.g. critical learnings into FRM.
- Actively represent Newmont Goldcorp on regional technical industry bodies e.g. chamber of minerals and embassy office of security.
- Actively partner with internal stakeholders on improving operational support and external stakeholders e.g. OEMs to improve industry practices.
- Become familiar with and strictly adhere to Newmont’s Health, Safety and Environmental standards. Act as a role model in complying with and supporting these standards and practices.
- The above duties and responsibilities are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
Training & Experience
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Tertiary qualification in Health & Safety, Security, Engineering or Sciences.
- Substantial knowledge of Management Operating Systems (MOS).
- Broad business knowledge and focus, ability to recognise issues, problems and capitalise on opportunities.
- Sound knowledge of global economic, social, competitive and political trends
- 10 years’ experience in organizational risk management.
- Operational experience in mining, processing (and underground is desirable).
- Experience catering for varied risks profiles across an organisation (underground/open-cut, projects/operations).
- Demonstrated ability to implement technical and behavioural health, safety and security programmes across global operations.
- Advanced communication and influencing skills.
- Experience directly and indirectly leading and inspiring a team of technical SMEs.
- Analytical capability to identify emerging safety risks.
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills (Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook).
- Business acumen and commercial management skills.
- Business continuity management skills.
- Business planning and organising skills.
- Conflict and change management skills.
- Financial analysis and management skills.
- Negotiation, networking and service management skills.
- Performance-driven management skills
- Safety conscious
- Strategic thinking
- Analytical thinking.
- Assertive, influential and persuasive.
- Credibility and integrity.
- Diversity management.
- Environmental scan.
- Goal oriented and pro-active.
- Innovative and inspirational.
- Persistent and resilient.
- Results and quality driven / focused.
- Safety conscious.
- The position is located at the Regional office in Accra and will regularly travel nationally to the mine sites with some international travel.
- Extended and unpredictable hours is the norm.
Our business success comes from the accomplishments and well-being of our employees and contractors. Our goal is to build a workplace culture that fosters leaders and allows every person to thrive, contribute, and grow. We are committed to selecting and developing our employees, and to establishing a work environment where everyone can take an active part in reaching our strategic goals while feeling a sense of pride in working at Newmont.
Newmont seeks to recruit, hire, place and promote qualified applicants, meaning applicants who meet the minimum requirements of the position, without regard to personal characteristics such as gender, race, nationality, ethnic, social and indigenous origin, religion or belief, disability, age or sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
NOTE: Newmont does not ask for or require job applicants to pay money to apply or be considered for employment with the Company. In addition, Newmont does not ask potential job candidates to provide sensitive personal data without first submitting a job application through our secure, online portal, and only as requested for legitimate business purposes. If you are asked to provide money or sensitive personal data through any other means, do not respond and please report this immediately to [email protected].
Job Segment: Manager, Engineer, Risk Management, Change Management, Management, Security, Engineering, Finance