AngloGold Ashanti (Ghana) Limited is currently on a journey to redevelop the Obuasi Gold Mine into a modern, efficient and long-term profitable operation. The underground mining operation will be fully mechanized, designed to produce up to an average maximum of 5,000 t/day of ore mined.
We are seeking an experienced and self-motivated person to join our dedicated team as Closure Manager.
ROLE PURPOSE AND CONTEXT
The Closure Manager is accountable for implementing closure projects at Obuasi. This role will include providing technical and project management of all involved disciplines to deliver the closure projects on time and on budget as well as progressing and updating the site’s integrated closure planning and implementation in compliance with the AGA Closure Planning Standard and the approved Obuasi Reclamation Plan and the internal Obuasi Closure Plan. The role will also include a requirement for stakeholder engagement, particularly with regulators and communities, and regulatory reporting.
This role will help build capacity in closure planning skills among all disciplines on site and assist sites to integrate closure activities into their daily operations as applicable. This role will also ensure a collegiate environment with discipline functional heads at a business unit, regional and corporate level.
Safety, Health and Environment
- Achievement of the annual safety targets as set by the MD / Operations Manager for area of accountability.
- Demonstrating behaviour that is consistent with the AngloGold Ashanti Safety Vision and Values.
- Ensuring that the health and safety management systems (OSHAS 18001) in area of accountability are being complied with and that any deviations in this regard are addressed in the appropriate manner
- Leading by example at all times to create a safe work environment in which risk is managed and people are able to perform their jobs without the risk of injury to themselves or others.
- Continuously Seeking opportunities for learning to improve safety performance.
Implementation of Obuasi Closure Plan
- Manage, coordinate and implement multi-disciplinary closure at the Obuasi site. This includes:
- Preparing annual and project area specific implementation plans, including technical requirements, budget, schedule and risk assessments.
- Implement the project in accordance with the implementation plan.
- Implement the plan in accordance with regulatory requirements and to avoid the requirement for yearly bond payments.
- Review and report on progress against the plan, internally and for inclusion in annual completion reports and EMPs.
- Collate information such as costs and lessons learnt to input into the continual refinement of the closure plan.
- Manage, coordinate and integrate studies and trials to fill knowledge gaps and subsequently update closure plan.
- Manage, coordinate and implement updates of the integrated closure plan as additional information is identified.
- Facilitate the integration of closure into site business plans.
- Provide closure advice and technical input to any surface projects (and underground projects which may influence closure requirements).
- Conduct closure-related monitoring and evaluation to track major milestones and target dates for each action (implementation or planning), and to provide early warning signs of change for corrective action.
- Provide technical input (or facilitate the closure-related technical input of other disciplines) to site project studies, permit documentation, assessments and the like to ensure closure considerations are included and meet the requirements of the plan.
- Work closely with technical specialists of all levels to update and amend the closure plan and related costs as appropriate.
Sustainability, Stakeholder Engagement & Communication:
- Facilitate, coordinate and manage closure-related stakeholder (internal and external) engagement and communication commensurate to the life of mine.
- Socialize the closure planning requirements at a site and stakeholder level.
- Constructive working relationship with the EPA (Ghana), to ensure closure work sign off and on-going progress update and alignment with the EPA (Ghana)
- Facilitate a collegiate cooperative environment with other technical specialists and functional heads at a site, CARO and project technical review team level to disseminate progress information, lessons learnt, receive expert technical input and ensure that closure planning requirements are considered and implemented at all levels.
- Work with site managers and relevant disciplines to capacity-build closure planning and implementation skills among all disciplines on site.
Planning & Budget:
- Prepare annual closure implementation plans and budgets.
- Manage and monitor implementation packages in accordance with closure planning targets in terms of annual budget, schedule, completion criteria and performance indicators.
- Manage risk identification and corrective action processes to ensure the plan and implementation is adjusted accordingly.
- For each implementation plan, ensure there is an associated multi-disciplinary risk management plan, including key risks, constraints and assumptions, planned responses and contingencies (where appropriate) for each.
Reporting, Monitoring & Evaluation
- Provide project progress reports to management, including risks and opportunities.
- Provide constant feedback to direct manager and management team pertaining to critical issues, risks and considerations.
- Negotiate contracts for services provided for closure activities in accordance with the applicable policy.
- Perform the role of Contract Representative to monitor all aspects of contractor’s performance and address any performance and contract compliance issues in area of accountability.
- Monitor the performance of contractors / consultants to ensure the required outcomes are achieved in a time and cost-effective manner.
Budget and Costs
- Develop and manage the monthly budget for the closure plan and perform regular cost analysis and cost control exercises to stay within the budget and timing for the closure plan and in accordance with submissions and commitments made to the EPA.
- Manage and monitor implementation packages in accordance with closure targets in terms of the reclamation plan/schedule, success criteria and performance indicators.
- Continuously identify opportunities to reduce cost or improve the cost efficiency of the closure plan.
Risk Management, Compliance and Reporting Accountabilities
- Review compliance to laws and AGA standards and commitments, review performance against objectives and targets.
- Identify all environmental risks and opportunities and provide and/or oversee the provision of quarterly updates regarding the control measures set out in order to address these.
- Awareness/implementation/delivery/management of declaration of conflict of interest of direct reports.
- Awareness/implementation/delivery/management of Delegation of Authority relevant to role and function.
- Awareness/implementation/delivery/management of reporting (weekly/monthly/quarterly/annual) requirements, including but not limited to statutory reporting requirements.
QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
- A relevant graduate qualification in mining or civil engineering or environmental /earth / natural resource management related sciences.
- Additional qualifications in project management would be advantageous.
- 8 to 10 years’ experience in the mining industry, of which at least 3 years should have been at a managerial level.
- Proven experience in multi-disciplinary project management and reporting.
- Experience in practical, pragmatic and business-oriented solution identification based on specific site characteristics.
- Field experience (preferably in Africa) and demonstrated ability in analysis, design, planning and implementation of large scale civil earthworks projects.
- Proven experience in managing a team, contractors and consultants.
- Proven experience of engaging with external and internal stakeholders (and in particular experience dealing effectively with the EPA – Ghana).
- Experience in developing or implementing integrated mine closure plans inclusive of biophysical, social and human resources aspects for all stages of mine life from exploration or prefeasibility through to mine closure.
- Integrated closure planning requirements.
- Gold-related mineral exploration methods, mine waste disposal methods, mineral processing methods and integrated closure options for all domains.
- An understanding of mine planning process and models.
- Project management and change management programs.
- Coordination and management of different disciplines and throughout various levels of the workforce including management.
- Excellent English written and oral communication and report writing skills.
- Ability to understand and implement complex closure projects with competing requirements.
- Capacity and team building ability to ensure role can be nationalized (in the event that the candidate is not Ghanaian).
- Flexibility and ability to implement change management processes as required.
- Risk assessment and mitigation processes and application
- Fostering a team environment – Inspiring and Motivating Others, promoting Collaboration and Team work, Developing Others, Communicating prolifically.
- Managing oneself - Taking ownership of one’s personal development.
- Building Effective Working Relationships - The ability to build and maintain effective collateral and cross functional working relationship.
- Building Trust & Accountability – Displaying high levels of integrity and honesty.
- Creating Organisational Transformation - Displaying strategic perspectives in adapting plans for achieving organisational objectives.
- Maximising Performance Results – Solving Problems and Analysing Issues, Driving for Results.
- Displaying Technical and Professional expertise, Innovating, Taking Initiative, Championing Change, Establishing Stretch Goals.