World Vision is a global relief, development and advocacy organization dedicated to working with children,families and communities to overcome poverty and injustice.World Vision serves all people regardless of religion,race,ethnicity,or gender.
The Risk and Compliance Manager will be responsible for World Vision Ghana’s overall risk identification, analysis and management;, and shall recommend and ensure the implementation of measures to minimize WVG’s risk, as well as ensure compliance with policies, procedures and standards for all Programmes (including sponsorship and grants).
This position will plan and design appropriate tools to strategically review World Vision Ghana’s operating models periodically to determine risk levels, propose strategies and systems to mitigate risks and effectively track progress in the implementation of recommendations on risk mitigation.
The Risk Manager will advise the Senior PE Manager on risk mitigation and compliance with policies and procedures especially in sponsorship and grant programmes. This advisory role will include, but not limited to, providing advice on risk management, monitoring and reporting on compliance with policies and standards, and their impact on the risk rating of the NO. The position will also ensure the maximum utilization of the Riskonect software or any other risk management software approved by the Partnership.
Development and Management of Risk Policies and Framework
- Define World Vision’s enterprise risk management framework and establish guidelines for the development and implementation of relevant partnership policies and procedures
- Champion the implementation and review of WV Ghana’s risk policy and framework
- Conduct compliance & risk assessments.
- Support the WV Board and SLT in its implementation, review and approval of the enterprise-wide risk governance framework which includes the organization risk culture, risk appetite and risk limits
- Develop World Vision’s risk identification and annual assessment plan, and facilitate the identification, measurement, assessment, monitoring, and control of the level of risks in World Vision Ghana
Implementation of Risk Management Processes and Practice in WVG
- Incorporate risk considerations into strategic decision-making and ensure alignment between NO strategy and WV Ghana’s risk policy
- Manage the implementation of all aspects of the risk function, including implementation of processes, tools and systems to identify, assess, measure, manage, monitor and report risks
- Manage the corporate risk and control assessment reporting process as well as manage and maintain infrastructure elements
- Communicate risk management policies, risk appetite and risk limits, across all levels of World Vision Ghana
- Review and provide feedback on the adequacy of WVG risk management, governance and controls
Risk Analysis, Monitoring and Reporting
- Lead monitoring and reporting of significant deficiencies and material weaknesses in internal control and ensure that appropriate remedial actions are taken
- Undertake bi-annual risk evaluation, which involves comparing estimated risks with criteria established by the organization such as costs, legal requirements and environmental factors, and evaluating the organization’s previous handling of risks
- Develop a dashboard for tracking risk compliance and implementation of the organizational effectiveness and audit recommendations for APs and the Head Office
- Conduct special reviews & investigations as may be directed by the SLT through the IPD director and ensure that internal controls are developed and implemented by various departments, APs, Clusters and Regions
- Provide quarterly reports on risk status of WVG strategy and programs with updated risk register with clear mitigation plans through the Senior PE Manager to IPD Director
Build a Culture of Risk in Programme and Project Management
- Work with PE &DME leads to ensure all Program and project incorporate risk management in design.
- Conduct organization-wide training and awareness sessions on internal control and risk issues; and establish and maintain risk awareness culture within WV Ghana, and provide appropriate opportunities for organizational learning, including lessons learned from previous problems, on-going communication, training and development
- Verify and report the organization’s ability to consistently comply with standards, policies and procedures especially in Sponsorship; and innovate to increase the efficiency of sponsorship management and sponsorship in programme
- Annually conduct statistical analysis to evaluate risks and recommend appropriate action to manage such risks
- Verify on a quarterly basis that the Global and Internal Audit recommendations are being implemented within the agreed time lines and report on progress to WV Ghana’s management.
- Ensure that work practices are in compliance with the Institute of Internal Auditors Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing (SPPIA), the US Government Generally Accepted Auditing Standards (GAGAS) for US Government Funding and World Vision’s Financial Manual Internal Audit policies and procedures.
- Participate and serve as the Secretary in the Risk and Audit Committee meetings to enhance World Vision Risk management
Management of WVG Employee Whistle-blower Reporting
- Evaluate and analyse new whistle-blower reports when received in accordance with WVI recommended criteria; conduct and advice on whistle-blower investigations; coordinate and lead evaluation; ensure ultimate accountability on conclusions and follow through by line management.
- Regular strategic communications to all staff, and other stakeholders as needed.
Ensure investigations are conducted qualified personnel and in alignment with policies.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Minimum education, training and experience requirements to qualify for the position:
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Sciences, Business Management or related field with a subject of study in Risk Management or certificate in Risk management. ACCA an advantage
- 3-5 years’ experience working in Risk Management or related field.
Preferred Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Strong writing and communication skills.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Proven ability to cultivate and maintain strong interpersonal and working relationships in a dispersed international context.
- Experience working in a large international organization and communicating cross-culturally.
- Experience with translating complex technical concepts and simplifying information for mass consumption and usage to a broad international audience.
- Experience with translating data into information and analysis that communicates an easily understood concept or message.
- Membership in a professional risk management association, or willingness to obtain within 1 year.
- Professional or academic education in Risk management or related field.
- Experience working in a Risk Management unit in a large international organization.
- Education or experience related to Ethics and Compliance.
- Background or experience with communications and/or technical writing.
- Experience and demonstrated success working with and engaging senior leadership.
- Preferred: Masters in Social Sciences, MBA or ACCA
- Office based with frequent travel to the field
- The position requires ability and willingness to travel domestically and internationally up to 40% of the time.
- On call