Guinness Ghana Breweries Plc is a subsidiary of Diageo Plc and is the only total beverage business in Ghana listed on the London, New York and Ghana Stock Exchange. Diageo produces and outstanding collection of over 200 brands and sold in over 180 countries. Diageo has operated in Ghana for almost 60 years. We directly employ over 1,000 and 10,000 indirec...
Read more about this company
The Brewing Technical operator is an individual with brewing operational expertise on beer brewing and fermentation profile and Beer Membrane Filtration (BMF) plant. He is responsible for ensuring the KPIs related to wort production, Lager Yeast Management, Fermentation, BMF plant and Beer Quality are being adhered to as defined by CODEX and DWB Standards, in addition to Safety, Flavour, waste and Excellence in Supply Chain (EISC) requirements..
- Build great relationships with those you work with, both internally and externally.
- Be honest and open at all times; demonstrate high integrity.
- Be imaginative in finding solutions to issues and pursuing opportunities for the business.
- Develop and apply a great understanding of the business to your work
Connect to Diageo Purpose
- Show pride in Diageo; act as a positive representative of the company and our reputation
Consistently deliver great performance
- Demonstrate drive to make a positive difference to business performance
- Show commitment to outstanding team work
- Be clear about your own performance commitments, ensure they are linked to business goals
- Develop and apply self-awareness, get to know your own strengths and development needs.
- Grow your capability and experience and look for and respond to feedback commitments.
Purpose of Role
- To support Brewing and Processing of GGBPLC brands by being reliable and efficient in their operations.
- To support SBT meetings in the Brewing Department.
- Commit to Occupational Health and Safety standards. Frequently state and articulate that Safety is our No.1 priority. Be visible as an ambassador for safety by behaving in a safe manner at all times and always challenging unsafe practices and behaviour of others, reprimanding where appropriate.
- Adhere strictly to the site safety rules and systems and equipment operational procedures.
- Shall be committed to producing safe and quality products by following all instructions related to Food Safety and Quality Management Systems.
- Carryout all yeast management activities, including yeast propagation and gyling, and update all fermentation charts, and monitor beer processing to deliver required flavour profile.
- Run the brewing plant to deliver the required volume and quality per shift, while reducing waste (cost).
- Complete the relevant short interval controls for Brewing process plant and Deaerated Liquor (DAL) plant operation, and ensure fermentation charts are fully updated at all times.
- Intensify monitoring and implement short interval controls (SIC) to ensure DAL dissolved oxygen (DO) levels conform to Codex standards With support from Shift Brewing Managers, achieve production plan and key performance target and deliver agreed customer service levels.
- Actively pursue training and development on individual and team and participate in competency based training programs. Support other team members development and develop positive relationship with colleagues including contractors.
- Share and apply new skills as acquired, participant in developmental cleaning and PIP’s to meet/exceed improvement target. Consider general opportunities to improve work areas.
- Compile and comments whatever reports are required either original report or those generated automatically. These include plant checklists and shift repots and handover reports.
- Take part in teambuilding and engagement activities at the departmental and site levels in order to deliver strong engagement index and improve ways of working
Qualifications and Experience Required
- Holder of post –secondary qualification in a science related course with 3 years’ experience: IBD General Certificate of Brewing, HND/BSc. in Chemical Engineering, Science Laboratory Technology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, or Food Science and Technology is ideal
- Demonstrate detailed understanding of permit to work system and GGBPLC SHE policies, statutory requirements and responsibilities.
- Demonstrate understanding of team work principles, continuous improvement, preventative maintenance and problem solving.
- Response to change in positive outlook across a range of situations or challenges.
- Positive attitude to own development and looks for opportunities to help others learn and develop.
Barriers to Success in Role
- Lack of personal flexibility to function in tightly manned manufacturing environment with volatile production and sales demand.
- Poor inclination to pursue training and development on an individual and team basis or to share and apply new skills applied.
- Inability to connect and build positive relationship.
- Lack of understanding of the commercial and Demand agenda with the business.
- Skills level inadequate to successfully operate and maintain both new and ageing assets and technology.
- Inability to demonstrate key leadership qualities.
- The use of inappropriate language.
Flexible Working options
This role is based in GGB PLC production sites.