Guinness Ghana Breweries is a Ghanaian brewery founded in 1960. It is located at the Kaasai Industrial Area in Kumasi Guinness Ghana Breweries is listed on the stock index of the Ghana Stock Exchange, the GSE All-Share Index.At its inception, the company produced only Guinness Foreign Extra Stout, popularly known as Guinness. The primary depot was at the ...
Read more about this company
No of employees Approx 700 permanent located at 2 brewery sites and Sales Force across all 4 regions
GGBL operates in five drinks categories: Stout, Lager, RTD, Malt and spirits categories
Trends: Growth in the Ghana economy is expected to continue at mid single digit in a competitive environment. The outlook for the Ghanaian economy is has become more challenging over the next 2 years. Winning back market share is a priority
Consumers: Consumers and customers in this region expect products of the highest quality, especially in a competitive environment. There is also a growing middle class who are likely to experiment with new products.
GGBL currently operates through a network of over 40 Key distributors (direct customers) however the Advantaged Route to Consumer project will transform our coverage with the goal of reaching 50,000+ outlets by the end of F15
Internal: GGBL is a local plc; in the top 10 largest companies quoted on the Ghanaian Stock exchange with a market capitalisation value of $170m.
Role: Provide strategic direction and leadership to transform and maintain the quality of talent and org effectiveness in GGBL. The role is key to the successful delivery of our 2017 goal of being the most vibrant and iconic business in Ghana.
Successful Candidate: Will gain experience in a senior level role in the most politically stable emerging market in West Africa and be a member of IMC executive team.
- Diageo/Heineken cultures merged into one
- Talent and Org effectiveness agenda a priority for the company
- Competition in the market from telecoms, banks, etc for great talent
- GGBL Exec team + Extended Leadership team + HR team
- ARM HR Director and HRD’s across Africa region
- Diageo HR specialists e.g. performance & reward, people development
- Preferred consultants – Recruitment, Development, Employment Law
- External Network HR professionals from other leading Ghanaian and African companies to benchmark and identify opportunities to search & spin
- National Union Leaders
Purpose of Role
- As a member of the GGBL executive team, define and deliver the HR strategy that will enable GGBL to exceed its business plan and build an effective organisation that ‘brilliantly executes ‘Multi Year Talent Plans’
- Effectively lead & manage the people agenda of GGBL through design, implementation and evolution of organisation and talent strategies that underpin the delivery of business goals. The role has primary responsibilities for step-changing the attraction, retention and engagement levels of the organisation in the service of our destination 2017 goals.
- Enforce all aspects of the Food Safety and Quality Management System related to your department is followed and maintained.
- Ensure Advantaged Route to Consumer change is embedded with new Sales Force in place and delivering NSV goals through the right culture and effective performance management.
- Ensure Supply organisation is fit for purpose with effective model to manage COGS and deliver Quality
- Provide leadership on ongoing journey to step-change the talent agenda for GGBL through brilliant execution of Multi Year Talent Plans with a focus on ELT succession coverage.
- Maintain the engagement level of employees with the company and achieve our goal of stretch goal of 50% Super Engaged Employees including proactive management of Industrial Relations agenda
- Embed Workday transition to ensure effective HR processes, systems and structures to underpin business
Leadership Challenge and Responsibilities
- Drives a HR agenda that is highly commercially focused ensuring success of AtRC change. Effective Business leader, able to understand the total business strategy and contribute to its delivery both through their function and more generally as a member of the IMC exec
- Highly respected for unquestionable integrity. Does the right thing always Excellent coach – able to create a challenging but supportive environment where right standards are set
- Great Team Leader, able to inspire and motivate team to deliver exceptional performance
- Passionately committed to the development of self, individuals and teams
- Ability to create a culture that recognizes and celebrates individual, team and organizational performance
- Demonstrates the ability to face reality and take tough decisions which focus on cost, quality, service and people to deliver sustainable results.
- Continually communicates and lives the vision and engages others through demonstrating positive energy and commitment.
Qualifications and Experience Required
- Degree level qualification
- HR qualification / MBA preferable
- Minimum 10 years senior management experience and proven ability to lead teams
- Strategic HR leadership experience with strong operational background
- Experience of working within different cultural environments
Barriers to Success in Role
- Inability to play an active business leader role as a member of an Executive team
- Inability to connect and build positive relationships.
- Lack of understanding of the commercial and talent agenda within GGBL
Flexible Working options
This role is based in Accra but will require frequent travel to Kumasi and elsewhere within Ghana as well as meetings in other Diageo locations as needed.